From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of D. Scott Chatfield
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 10:29 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] GM&O and A&WP colors

My friend Joe Sullivan asked me the following:

1.  What color were GM&O flat cars in 1952 - 1954 time period?  The 42' 50T "USRA-ish" ones.

2.  I am assuming that A&WP flat cars and GA RR gondolas (specifically the ones rebuilt from flat cars) of that period were freight car brown (Langley Jr., Hanson & Silcox won't argue) .  Does anyone here dissent?  Does anyone dissent from assumption that the GA/A&WP freight car brown resembled the L&N color, except maybe a bit more LIGHT brownish that pure oxide red?

3. Does anyone know or a photo of one of the few CofGa 40' 1937 door-and-a-half boxcars with SUPERIOR doors?

4.  There's an online rumor of the existence of HO scale Farmall tractor decals.  Does such a thing actually exist??

Thanks

Scott Chatfield

William Hirt

Yes. At one time Oddball Decals made them. He printed off an ALPS printer and sometimes you would need two sets to make sure they cover. Oddballs is out of business as far as I know and has been pursued by more than a few people (including the state of Kansas) for not sending decals after people playing for them. He also burned two Kansas City area hobby shops that handled mail orders for him.

Your best source would be to hope a set shows on eBay.

Bill Hirt

On 4/14/2020 10:29 AM, D. Scott Chatfield wrote:

4.  There's an online rumor of the existence of HO scale Farmall tractor decals.  Does such a thing actually exist??

Todd Horton

Scott, I have a not so great photo of a C of G door and a half with Superior doors.  The photographer was shooting a locomotive and the boxcar just happened to get caught.    Todd Horton

On Apr 14, 2020, at 11:51 AM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

At one time, Oddball's decals had a nice set of Farmall decals.

Steve Hile

On Apr 14, 2020, at 11:29 AM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

My friend Joe Sullivan asked me the following:

1.  What color were GM&O flat cars in 1952 - 1954 time period?  The 42' 50T "USRA-ish" ones.

2.  I am assuming that A&WP flat cars and GA RR gondolas (specifically the ones rebuilt from flat cars) of that period were freight car brown (Langley Jr., Hanson & Silcox won't argue) .  Does anyone here dissent?  Does anyone dissent from assumption that the GA/A&WP freight car brown resembled the L&N color, except maybe a bit more LIGHT brownish that pure oxide red?

3. Does anyone know or a photo of one of the few CofGa 40' 1937 door-and-a-half boxcars with SUPERIOR doors?

4.  There's an online rumor of the existence of HO scale Farmall tractor decals.  Does such a thing actually exist??

Thanks

Scott Chatfield

George Courtney

My curiosity on Georgia Gondola is also aroused.  I respect Bill Welch's research but noted that Tichy decals show a black gondola.  I presume the difference is either two different time periods or different paint colors for different classes of Georgia gondolas.  I''m wanting to do a black gondola and saw the Tichy decals as a possible choice.

George Courtney

Benjamin Hom

George Courtney wrote:
"My curiosity on Georgia Gondola is also aroused.  I respect Bill Welch's research but noted that Tichy decals show a black gondola.  I presume the difference is either two different time periods or different paint colors for different classes of Georgia gondolas.  I''m wanting to do a black gondola and saw the Tichy decals as a possible choice."

If you're taking a Tichy lettering diagram as gospel, I know a Nigerian prince that needs some help handling cash.  Behold these howlers:

Ben Hom

Benjamin Scanlon

Edited

The few pics I have of GA gons, look more like oxide brown or red, often with most of the paint fallen off, so they look black.  But they are out of era for this group.

GA/WPR had a Yahoo group but don't think it ever transitioned to groups.io, but this topic was raised there IIRC. Unfortunately don't remember what the consensus was.

Trouble with Georgia/West Point Route stock is it's oftimes hard to work out whether you are looking at a something painted oxide red with all the paint fallen off, or black but covered in rust or clay dust.

They did have black hoppers tho.

Ben Scanlon
London, England

--
Ben Scanlon
Tottenham, England

Bill Welch

Trying to not be defensive but IIRC my paint choice was based on AC&F Builder's info.

Black gons in the south: Southern, Virginian, N&W, ACL for sure

Elsewhere: Reading, MEC, Wabash, P&WV, off the top of my head.

Model On!
Bill Welch

BillM

I believe FEC hoppers and gons were black in steam era and into the 1970s.

Bill Michael

Trying to not be defensive but IIRC my paint choice was based on AC&F Builder's info.

Black gons in the south: Southern, Virginian, N&W, ACL for sure

Elsewhere: Reading, MEC, Wabash, P&WV, off the top of my head.

Model On!
Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

SUNSHINE had Farmall decals for their resin kit. I bought extras when LifeLike
did their tractors.

On 4/14/2020 11:29 AM, D. Scott Chatfield wrote:
My friend Joe Sullivan asked me the following:

1.  What color were GM&O flat cars in 1952 - 1954 time period?  The 42' 50T "USRA-ish" ones.

2.  I am assuming that A&WP flat cars and GA RR gondolas (specifically the ones rebuilt from flat cars) of that period were freight car brown (Langley Jr., Hanson & Silcox won't argue) .  Does anyone here dissent?  Does anyone dissent from assumption that the GA/A&WP freight car brown resembled the L&N color, except maybe a bit more LIGHT brownish that pure oxide red?

3. Does anyone know or a photo of one of the few CofGa 40' 1937 door-and-a-half boxcars with SUPERIOR doors?

4.  There's an online rumor of the existence of HO scale Farmall tractor decals.  Does such a thing actually exist??

Thanks

Scott Chatfield

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Ben, what is so funny about the PRR decals?

On 4/14/2020 7:04 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
George Courtney wrote:
"My curiosity on Georgia Gondola is also aroused.  I respect Bill Welch's research but noted that Tichy decals show a black gondola.  I presume the difference is either two different time periods or different paint colors for different classes of Georgia gondolas.  I''m wanting to do a black gondola and saw the Tichy decals as a possible choice."

If you're taking a Tichy lettering diagram as gospel, I know a Nigerian prince that needs some help handling cash.  Behold these howlers:

Ben Hom

Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor asked:
"Ben, what is so funny about the PRR decals?"

Circle Keystone lettering on black cars.  Complete fantasy.

Ben Hom

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

    You can add B&M, NH and Rutland to your list of black gons for our era, Bill

Cordially, Don Valentine

Steve SANDIFER

Oddball also had Farmall decals. I put them on my tractors and painted the silver on wheels and exhaust.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

I had my doubts and thanks for confirming them.

George Courtney

golden1014

Hi Scott,

Answers to two of your questions:

2.  I would call Georgia Road cars "Freight Car Red".  They were not brown, but more Oxide.  Like PRR FCC but with some oxide mixed in.  I would say close to L&N color, but more red.

3.  Nope, no CofG 1-1/2 door cars had Superior doors.  All Youngstown.

John Golden