F&C LV box car

Clark Propst

I’m out of Tamiya primer and Hobby Lobby’s closed so I’ve had to resort to Scalecoat II which takes days to dry...With Tamiya primer and Tru-color I’m able to prime, color and decal in a few hours...Oh well, like my wife says “What else you got to do?” I hate waiting...
Here are four photos of a F&C LV wrong way door box car. Love the little thing. The instructions say they sell kits of many of the cars variations, different roofs, doors, ends, if I were an Northeastern modeler I’d have a bunch of the variations. But, I’m not so one will do. I'm not a fan of the decals I think the Lehigh Valley is too large. Also used Ted's RMC essentials article as a guide when building.  I weathered the car with pencils and Pan Pastels. The four photos show that progress.
1, 2 – Just pencils. I used Prismacolor 30% and 70% cool gray on the running boards and a bit on the sides. Sienna brown to hi-lite details and a bit on the sides. Dark brown on the sides, plus a Pedigree medium looking brown on the sides.
3, 4 – After Pan Pastels. Neutral gray extra dark on the roof and underframe/trucks. Raw umber on the underframe trucks and wheel splash on the ends. I rubbed the whole car with a cosmetic sponge to blend all.
I’m beginning to think less is more when it comes to weathering.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Paul Doggett

Clark

Another fine build  and the weathering looks great as well.

Paul Doggett.   England

On 14 Apr 2020, at 17:36, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

bill woelfel

Car knocker will bad order that car, no couplers!  Looks great!

Clark Propst

bill woelfel
2:09pm
Car knocker will bad order that car, no couplers!

The car in not in it's natural habitat. This car had a Duryea underframe. I'm waiting for an order of Kadee 197s. Those are the ones with the narrow boxes because the boxes will stick out a ways passed the ends. I'll have a photo of the car on the layout when the couplers arrive.

Thanks!!
CW Propst

Rob & Bev Manley

Clark,
Nice job. Thanks a lot, now I have to get one of these. I love the board streaking. Not overdone like someone I know did (ahem).. May I forward this to PanPastel for publishing?

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 05:29:23 PM CDT, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

bill woelfel
2:09pm   #171723

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 03:19 PM, Rob & Bev Manley wrote:
May I forward this to PanPastel for publishing?
Rob Manley
That's a humbling request coming from you Rob. Sure you can. Would you rather wait till the couplers/ cut levers are installed and the car is on the layout?
CW Propst

Edward

Sad to say, I did not see any photos or any links to photos in the first message.
Here is an LV 'wrong way door' box car I built in O scale, after seeing the HO F&C kit some time ago.
It's a chance to see if this one will show up.

Ed Bommer

WILLIAM PARDIE

Super modeling job Ed.  Looking at the photo the only clue that it is  model is the coupler trip pin.  Great weathering.  The setting is the same quality as the model.

Just what I would hope to achieve.

Bill Pardie

Sad to say, I did not see any photos or any links to photos in the first message.
Here is an LV 'wrong way door' box car I built in O scale, after seeing the HO F&C kit some time ago.
It's a chance to see if this one will show up.

Ed Bommer

Schuyler Larrabee

Completely agree, Bill, That’s a very convincing photo . . .

Schuyler

Super modeling job Ed.  Looking at the photo the only clue that it is  model is the coupler trip pin.  Great weathering.  The setting is the same quality as the model.

Just what I would hope to achieve.

Bill Pardie

Sad to say, I did not see any photos or any links to photos in the first message.
Here is an LV 'wrong way door' box car I built in O scale, after seeing the HO F&C kit some time ago.
It's a chance to see if this one will show up.

Ed Bommer

Rob & Bev Manley

Clark,
Give it your best. couplers, lift bars and all. I got the virus reduction in force from the auto parts store. SO it looks like PanPastel Blog Guy is my new occupation. That and weathering for money at the local Trains and Sub sandwich store. The owner is former UP and he and several customers are Rock Island modelers.

On Thursday, April 16, 2020, 01:51:47 PM CDT, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

[...]

Back atcha my brutha.