Topics

MDC heavy duty trucks

Richard Townsend

I am looking for a pair of MDC heavy duty trucks, the ones with the frame extensions for clasp brakes. Does anyone know of a source?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Todd Sullivan

Hi  Richard,

I looked on eBay for Roundhouse SP ore cars, as that's where I thought the MDC trucks were used, but the photos in the auctions I found were not conclusive.

Have you seen Cory Bonsall's trucks used under the Utah Coal Route 70t gons?  Here's a link to his auction for them with pretty good photos:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-3D-Printed-Truckframes-70-Ton-Carbon-County-Railway-CBC-2-Pair/232519243454?hash=item36233a16be:g:GwIAAOSweIlZZrgX

Todd Sullivan

Richard Townsend

Todd, thanks so much! I had forgotten about those trucks, and they are perfect. Not roller bearing like the MDC, and since I don't want the roller bearings, that works out well.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I looked on eBay for Roundhouse SP ore cars, as that's where I thought the MDC trucks were used, but the photos in the auctions I found were not conclusive.

Have you seen Cory Bonsall's trucks used under the Utah Coal Route 70t gons?  Here's a link to his auction for them with pretty good photos:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-3D-Printed-Truckframes-70-Ton-Carbon-County-Railway-CBC-2-Pair/232519243454?hash=item36233a16be:g:GwIAAOSweIlZZrgX

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend wrote:

Todd, thanks so much! I had forgotten about those trucks, and they are perfect. Not roller bearing like the MDC, and since I don't want the roller bearings, that works out well.

      When I worked on a helium car, I needed essentially those trucks (this was before Corey came along). I used the MDC truck, simply cutting off the roller-bearing journals and gluing on solid bearing journal boxes. It's actually pretty quick and easy.

Tony Thompson

spsalso

Athearn has sold these trucks separately.  So you might want to also search under the Athearn name.

They HAVE sold them separately.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tony Thompson

Ed Sutorik wrote:

Athearn has sold these trucks separately.  So you might want to also search under the Athearn name.
They HAVE sold them separately.

     Athearn essentially sells ALL the parts to ALL their models. But scarcely any parts are on their website. They do give a phone number for the parts department, and I have found that when you call, they are pleasant and helpful. The key thing they tell you is the PART NUMBER for what you want. Then you can go online and order, using that number. Prices are okay and delivery is prompt.

Tony Thompson

Todd Sullivan

Does anyone remember what freight car - MDC or Athearn - they went under?  My memory banks failed me on this one.

Todd Sullivan.

Richard Townsend

I think it was the MDC 3-bay hopper for B&LE

On Apr 15, 2020, at 6:55 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Does anyone remember what freight car - MDC or Athearn - they went under?  My memory banks failed me on this one.

Todd Sullivan.

Tony Thompson

The SP ore cars.
Tony Thompson

On Apr 15, 2020, at 6:55 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Does anyone remember what freight car - MDC or Athearn - they went under?  My memory banks failed me on this one.

Todd Sullivan.

spsalso

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 08:50 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
The SP ore cars.
Tony Thompson

On Apr 15, 2020, at 6:55 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Does anyone remember what freight car - MDC or Athearn - they went under?  My memory banks failed me on this one.

Todd Sullivan.

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

   Three bay MDC hoppers for the B&LE sounds about right to me, Richard. Some of them
were purchased 2nd hand by the B&M and they all had trucks with double clasp brakes.
Can't help but wonder who else  have used such cars to warrant the expense of tooling
for those trucks for what appears to be a very limited usage.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Benjamin Hom

Don Valentine wrote:
"Three bay MDC hoppers for the B&LE sounds about right to me, Richard.  Some of them were purchased 2nd hand by the B&M and they all had trucks with double clasp brakes. Can't help but wonder who else  have used such cars to warrant the expense of tooling
for those trucks for what appears to be a very limited usage."

As noted earlier, the trucks in question were tooled by MDC for their SP ore gons.  The MDC offset triple is a pretty terrible model of an early offset triple with stepped taper.  It has an odd fishbelly side sill and hoppers that are too shallow in profile, leading to a pretty goofy appearance.  I hate the MDC triple hoppers and the fact that they keep popping up on the market with a passion - in a just world, the tooling would have blown up years ago.  Instead, Athearn chose to put lipstick on a pig by upgrading these models with separate grabs.

As for the B&LE 90-ton offset triples, there has been an accurate model available for these for decades - the Ulrich offset triple.

Ben Hom

Bob Chaparro

Those HD trucks were included in the earlier ore cars but more recent kits and R-T-R versions feature their regular freight car trucks.
I've had good luck finding the earlier versions at swap meets.
I plan to upgrade some helium cars with these trucks, knowing full well right after I've converted the last car someone will produce and market a much better car.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

spsalso

Athearn shows these trucks on their most recent release of the SP ore cars:

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH97741

They are not on any of the other ore cars announced at that time.  It does seem to be time for them to run another batch.  I just wish I had a need for these cars--they look great.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Mike Bradley

They were originally offered with the MDC Bessemer & Lake Erie 3 bay hopper.

Mike Bradley