FARMALL TRACTOR DECALS

WILLIAM PARDIE

Someone in the past couple of days asked if there had been any decals made for the Farmall tractors.  Indeed there has been.  They were done by
the now maligned Oddball Decals.  The set number is 87-563.  I have a set to use on my Sunshine tractor kit.  Hopefully I will get to it in this lifetime.

Bill Pardie
by the now maligned Oddball Decals_._,_._,_

Nelson Moyer

Farmall decals came up over a year ago, and I think Tony Koester was working with someone to bring them back. I haven’t heard anything since then. Perhaps Tony will give us an update? I have twelve tractors waiting H Decals.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 2:51 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] FARMALL TRACTOR DECALS

Someone in the past couple of days asked if there had been any decals made for the Farmall tractors.  Indeed there has been.  They were done by

the now maligned Oddball Decals.  The set number is 87-563.  I have a set to use on my Sunshine tractor kit.  Hopefully I will get to it in this lifetime.

Bill Pardie

Tim O'Connor

Bill the thing that has me stumped is how to efficiently paint the
tractor wheels and still get all that detail with hubs.

On 4/15/2020 6:52 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

Farmall decals came up over a year ago, and I think Tony Koester was working with someone to bring them back. I haven’t heard anything since then. Perhaps Tony will give us an update? I have twelve tractors waiting H Decals.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE

Bill Pardie

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve SANDIFER

I did this one probably 10 years ago. It is a regular runner in my op sessions.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] FARMALL TRACTOR DECALS

Nelson Moyer

Bill Pardie

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

That's a super nice looking load of Farmall H and/or M series tractors, Steve

Cordially, Don Valentine

WILLIAM PARDIE

Tim:

I recall this coming up shortly after Martin released the kits.  All thet I recall I s that someone questioned their sanity after doing a load. The tractors in Mr. Sandifer's post look super.  Possibly he could chime in auto how he accomplished it.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/15/20 2:15 PM (GMT-10:00)

Nelson Moyer

Bill Pardie

ron christensen

I have a question on seat color. As I remember the Formal 300 we had, had a plastic like cover that was silver in color.
It was our first tractor with any kind of seat covering. before that the seats were metal painted the same as the tractor.
Ron Christensen

rmink

If I recall correctly the decals were included in the tractor kit Martin offered.  Building these tested my sanity too.  There are over 50 parts in each tractor!  I added a few things like MV lenses and pins in several places to strengthen some of the joints.  I'm pleased with the results though.  I would like to find a set of the oddball tractor decals as I have a load of the Life Like tractors I want to finish.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Mink
Burleson, TX

Clark Propst

I too partook in the insanity of building these tractors too. Here's a photo of them when new 25 + yrs ago. The flat car deck was removable so a plain deck could be a replacement. Load in/empty out sort of thing. Now the tractors ride on a different flat car with the wheel chocks glued to the deck. I added wire to the rear wheels that poke into the stake pockets to hold the tractors on. Tractor orientation on the car is located on the bottom of the tractor. I have several Athearn RTR JD tractors I crazily made chocks and glued to the wheels. The reason for both these methods is to be able to remove partial loads at different towns on my branch. I can provide more photos of the different arrangements.
The irony was that as soon as I finished the tractors and started therapy Life Like came out with their RTR version and Oddballs did decals...Also a friend is building them as we type/read for another guy. He calls to ask questions and I just laugh  ;  ))
CW Propst.

Bob Weston

Full size decals available on the tractor restoration market, surely some enterprising individual could make scale decals from these.Written as I sit on my McCormick Deering Farmall A.
"If it ain't red leave it in the shed!"

Steve SANDIFER

Silver. Just google Farmall 300 and there are lots of photos.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of ron christensen via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 8:12 AM

I have a question on seat color. As I remember the Formal 300 we had, had a plastic like cover that was silver in color.
It was our first tractor with any kind of seat covering. before that the seats were metal painted the same as the tractor.
Ron Christensen

Nelson Moyer

With all this talk of tractor loads, I'm wondering if there were regional followings for either Farmall red or John Deere green. I remember seeing mostly red in Indiana in the 1940 and 1950 on visits to the grandparent's farm. With plants in Moline and Waterloo, would John Deere be more prevalent in Iowa than Farmall? More specifically, could I expect more flat car loads of green than red arriving on an Eastern Iowa branch line?

Allen Cain

All I could offer is that John Deere has a plant just across the river from Davenport, IA which MIGHT have influenced Iowa farmers?

Allen Cain

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

That sounds like the old Rock Island Plow Co.plant in Rock Island Ill., Allen. Frank Hodina would
probably know for sure.  My Grandfather worked there before coming back east. It was sold to John 
Deere in the late 1890's I believe. I have had family in the area since my g-g-grandfather moved the
family to Rock Island Co, in 1835 when it was said there were less than 100 white people in the area.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Charles Peck

I see that Walthers has some sort of red farm tractor.  Not being well-informed,
I cannot identify the brand or type, only the color.  They do not appear to have 
any brand markings on them.
Can someone identify the brand and model of these?
Chuck Peck

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 5:32 PM Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:
All I could offer is that John Deere has a plant just across the river from Davenport, IA which MIGHT have influenced Iowa farmers?

Allen Cain

Allan Smith

I believe they are the Life Like Red farm tractors. They are very similar to the Farmall Tractors, but you would have to paint and decal them. They are listed on Ebay in sets of three per package.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Friday, April 17, 2020, 03:03:36 PM PDT, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

I see that Walthers has some sort of red farm tractor.  Not being well-informed,
I cannot identify the brand or type, only the color.  They do not appear to have 
Chuck Peck

Allen Cain

Steve and Barb Hile

John Deere builds combines, planters and tillage equipment, etc. in the Illinois Quad Cities (home town).  But John Deere's main tractor plant was in Waterloo, Iowa.

International Harvester built the Farmall tractors in Rock Island and its combines at East Moline, both plants sat literally on the borders of those towns with Moline, the home of Deere.

Go figure.  My sister put in more than 40 years with Deere and Company and I had 37 with IH (and its successor companies.)

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Allen Cain
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 4:32 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Allen Cain

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>

Chuck,

I presume you are talking about this puppy: https://www.walthers.com/farm-tractor-2-pack-assembled-red . Definitely a Farmall, by the Lowey-design grill and the swoosh above the engine. I don't know enough about tractors to say is this an accurate model, and if so, what series it is from.

Curiously, or perhaps not so curiously knowing Walthers, the also offer the same tractor in green: https://www.walthers.com/farm-tractor-2-pack-assembled-green .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 6:03 PM Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:
Chuck Peck

Allen Cain

Jim Ogden

What I remember back in Louisiana was even in the 1970s was a lot depended on the local dealer, their mechanics, how quickly could you get parts, and how easy it was to get credit. By that time manufacturers were taking over the finance operations for buying tractors but it varied from town by town Still some families were loyal IH owners while others were John Deere fanatics ever since they retired their mules for Johnny Poppers. Like a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

I’d look in city directories and see who the local dealers were.

I think a commercial decal set with all sorts of IH/McCormick Deering, J.I. Case, Ford, and Massy Ferguson logos would be great to have

Jim Ogden

earlyrail

Allen Cain

With the main John Deere plant being in Waterloo, Iowa

Howard Garner