Rebuilt USRA Double Sheathed Boxcars

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

    Please excuse what may be an off-the-wall question for many but may shed some light on
things for others. As most of us are aware, many railroads began rebuilding their USRA double
sheathed box cars in the mid to late 1930 with most using "kits" of new sides and sometimes
other parts as well supplied by companies such as Youngstown Steel. Some of theses kits
used eight panel sides and some used ten panel sides. So my first question is why was there
a difference in the number of panels per side and what determined which style to use? Could
it be that a car type other than the USRA double sheathed cars was also rebuilt in this period
and differed in construction enough to require a different number of panels? Lastly, has anyone
ever put together a list of those roads that used such its to rebuild cars that would indicate when
such rebuilding occurred, which type of car was rebuilt and what number of panels the new sides
used were comprised of?  It would seem this would be useful information for reference if there is
any such guide.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Benjamin Hom

Don Valentine asked:
"As most of us are aware, many railroads began rebuilding their USRA double sheathed box cars in the mid to late 1930 with most using "kits" of new sides and sometimes other parts as well supplied by companies such as Youngstown Steel. Some of these kits used eight panel sides and some used ten panel sides. So my first question is why was there a difference in the number of panels per side and what determined which style to use?"

Individual railroad mechanical departments' preferences and vendor choice.

"Could it be that a car type other than the USRA double sheathed cars was also rebuilt in this period and differed in construction enough to require a different number of panels?"

Not really.  Rebuilt single-sheathed and sectional sheathed cars also exhibited variations in number of panels used.

"Lastly, has anyone ever put together a list of those roads that used such its to rebuild cars that would indicate when such rebuilding occurred, which type of car was rebuilt and what number of panels the new sides used were comprised of?  It would seem this would be useful information for reference if there is any such guide."

I did one almost 15 years ago.  It could use an update as we've learned a lot since then, but it's further down on my list of things to do.  It's in the group files section here:

Ben Hom

David

RPC #24 covers the double-sheathed rebuilds. Reading between the lines a bit, the 8-panel sides were generally supplied by Youngstown, and the ten-panel sides by Pullman-Standard, but that is not necessarily a hard and fast rule.

David Thompson