Photo: GN Boxcar 44653

Bob Chaparro

Photo: GN Boxcar 44653

A photo from the Tacoma Public Library Digital Collection:

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/18231/rec/518

Description: "Great Northern Box Car being loaded by Sperry Flour Company at Ocean Dock, DFPA, Edith Leik. A man is moving several bags of flour inside a box car at the Sperry Flour Company Ocean Dock. Another man stands outside reviewing a list. Some of the Sperry Flour Company facilities are seen in the background."

I believe this is a plywood-sheathed boxcar.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Bob,

Indeed, that car is a GN plywood sheathed car from the first series (built may to June 1944), as denoted by the composite door (and 6/44 build date 😉)

The only thing that might make that photo better would be if it included the "B" end, and in color to show off that gorgeous Omaha Orange and green paint scheme!

I have 2 kits to build... a Sunshine (79.1) and a hybrid IM kit from Andy Carlson to backdate the IM kit to the 1944 cars... Now I just need one more set of those funky composite doors.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

A photo from the Tacoma Public Library Digital Collection:

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/18231/rec/518

Description: "Great Northern Box Car being loaded by Sperry Flour Company at Ocean Dock, DFPA, Edith Leik. A man is moving several bags of flour inside a box car at the Sperry Flour Company Ocean Dock. Another man stands outside reviewing a list. Some of the Sperry Flour Company facilities are seen in the background."

I believe this is a plywood-sheathed boxcar.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

spsalso

Don't forget the black:  roof, ends and underbody.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Bruce Smith

Indeed!  I haven't forgotten... just didn't mention it, but when done that will, of course, contribute even more to the impression of the car! It is my intent with my 2 to model one that has been on the road for 2 months and is lightly weathered with a 2nd that is on it's first revenue trip.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL