Topics

HO Scale Grab Irons

Bob Chaparro

HO Scale Grab Irons

I want to upgrade a couple of HO scale freight cars I acquired at a swap meet. The cars have holes for simple wire grab irons but I'd like to add commercial grab irons with more detail.

Any suggestions for what I might use?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Robert J Miller CFA

Tichy has straight and drop grabs in 18” and 24” widths.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 8:50:17 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] HO Scale Grab Irons

HO Scale Grab Irons

I want to upgrade a couple of HO scale freight cars I acquired at a swap meet. The cars have holes for simple wire grab irons but I'd like to add commercial grab irons with more detail.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Bob, it sounds like you want Kadee bracket grabirons.

On 4/16/2020 9:07 PM, Bob Miller wrote:

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...>

HO Scale Grab Irons

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

WILLIAM PARDIE

BLMA had both drop and straight grab irons made with. 008 wire.  Atlas has taken over from BLMA and the grab irons have recently become part of their line.  I now use them exclusively and they make a difference.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/16/20 3:28 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] HO Scale Grab Irons

Bob, it sounds like you want Kadee bracket grabirons.

On 4/16/2020 9:07 PM, Bob Miller wrote:

HO Scale Grab Irons

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Welch

Bob, it would be a heck of a lot easier to make suggestions if you told us what the models represent.

Bill Welch

Bob Chaparro

Yes, I should have included that information.
I thought I would subject myself to some frustration by building a few C&BT Shops HO scale Santa Fe reefers.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Bob,

Given that the prototype RR-27 had simple grab irons, your best bet is to use wire grabs as has been suggested. If the C&BT kits do not include the attachment bolts, simply drill a hole just above the grab and add a nbw casting.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] HO Scale Grab Irons

Yes, I should have included that information.
I thought I would subject myself to some frustration by building a few C&BT Shops HO scale Santa Fe reefers.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tangent Scale Models

Tangent Scale Models offers 18-inch 0.008" grab irons here: https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/unique-and-useful-parts/

We offer cheap first class shipping too - so you receive instant gratification!

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

John Riddell

Tangent Scale Models offers excellent grab irons pre-formed of .008 wire which are accurate in diameter. They offer both straight and drop grabs.

. https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product/drop-grab-irons-quantity-of-24-phosphor-bronze-0-008-diameter/

John Riddell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10