Barriger Library AC&F Photos


David
 

After taking a break for a year or so, some early-1940s AC&F builder's photos have been added to the Flickr page, including several USG-A 4-course tanks.

SHPX 17520: https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619124151/in/album-72157649155982802/

USQX 11200 : https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619388297/in/album-72157649155982802/

NdeM 45305: https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618608328/in/album-72157649155982802/

David Thompson


Thomas Evans
 

Some great stuff here, but everything is all mushed together in this collection.
Does anyone know if there is a way to search or limit by type, railroad, year or anything?

Tom E.


Dave Parker
 

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 08:54 AM, Thomas Evans wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to search or limit by type, railroad, year or anything?
The short answer is no, the search capabilities here are almost nonexistent.

The one exception is that you can (usually?) search the ACF photos by lot number.  For example, the first photo in David's post can be found by searching with "ACF 2521".  It's great if you know the lot number, but otherwise...
 
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA


Ray Breyer
 

There's one GOOD way to search: download everything, save it, rename it logically, and then search to your heart's content!

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL


On Saturday, April 18, 2020, 11:38:29 AM CDT, Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...> wrote:


On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 08:54 AM, Thomas Evans wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to search or limit by type, railroad, year or anything?
The short answer is no, the search capabilities here are almost nonexistent.

The one exception is that you can (usually?) search the ACF photos by lot number.  For example, the first photo in David's post can be found by searching with "ACF 2521".  It's great if you know the lot number, but otherwise...
 
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA


Bruce Smith
 

David,

As usual, very interesting! 

Just a few photos up from SHPX 17520 is this Carnegie Steel Slab Cooling Car, lettered for the War Department Ordnance:

SHPX 1750 is a "classic" USG-A that could be modeled from a Tichy tank and IM type 27 under frame.

USQX 11200 shows have the USG-A cars  for USQX had a GATC-style frame (built by AC&F) and an AC&F tank.

NdeM 4305 presents an interesting issue. It too is a "classic" USG-A, except that it has a horizontal shaft hand brake. When I looked at the photo I wondered why we (the USA) were building cars for Mexico, when we were desperately short ourselves. In a post in 2008, ( #72832) Richard Hendrickson indicates that the War Production Board apparently had the same question and at least some of the NdeM cars were redirected to SHPX. This may in fact be one of those cars, and it would actually not have left Milton in this paint....

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL



From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of David via groups.io <jaydeet2001@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 8:01 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Barriger Library AC&F Photos
 
After taking a break for a year or so, some early-1940s AC&F builder's
photos have been added to the Flickr page, including several USG-A
4-course tanks.

SHPX 17520:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619124151/in/album-72157649155982802/

USQX 11200 :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619388297/in/album-72157649155982802/

NdeM 45305:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618608328/in/album-72157649155982802/

David Thompson




John Barry
 

Very interesting.  GAPX is not listed as a registered reporting mark in either the Jan or Apr 43 nor the Oct 44 ORER.

John Barry
 
ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736


On Saturday, April 18, 2020, 04:10:34 PM EDT, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:


David,

As usual, very interesting! 

Just a few photos up from SHPX 17520 is this Carnegie Steel Slab Cooling Car, lettered for the War Department Ordnance:

SHPX 1750 is a "classic" USG-A that could be modeled from a Tichy tank and IM type 27 under frame.

USQX 11200 shows have the USG-A cars  for USQX had a GATC-style frame (built by AC&F) and an AC&F tank.

NdeM 4305 presents an interesting issue. It too is a "classic" USG-A, except that it has a horizontal shaft hand brake. When I looked at the photo I wondered why we (the USA) were building cars for Mexico, when we were desperately short ourselves. In a post in 2008, ( #72832) Richard Hendrickson indicates that the War Production Board apparently had the same question and at least some of the NdeM cars were redirected to SHPX. This may in fact be one of those cars, and it would actually not have left Milton in this paint....

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL



From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of David via groups.io <jaydeet2001@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 8:01 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Barriger Library AC&F Photos
 
After taking a break for a year or so, some early-1940s AC&F builder's
photos have been added to the Flickr page, including several USG-A
4-course tanks.

SHPX 17520:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619124151/in/album-72157649155982802/

USQX 11200 :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619388297/in/album-72157649155982802/

NdeM 45305:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618608328/in/album-72157649155982802/

David Thompson




Geodyssey
 

I don't think I've seen an insulated tank like this USOX 17021. Tennessee Eastman Corp. Holston Ordanance Works nitric acid loading.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618638478/in/album-72157649155982802/

Rob Simpson
Springfield


Tim O'Connor
 

Some people call those "mailbox" tank cars. They were around, under various owners,
even into the mid to late 1960's (if not later).

On 4/18/2020 6:12 PM, Geodyssey wrote:
I don't think I've seen an insulated tank like this USOX 17021. Tennessee Eastman Corp. Holston Ordanance Works nitric acid loading.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618638478/in/album-72157649155982802/

Rob Simpson
Springfield
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*


Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>
 

    Actually Monsanto Chemical had a car of two like the Eastman car that operated out of their
plant in Revere. Mass., just north of Boston. Years ago someone made a foil wrapper for a kit 
of these cars. I suspect foil becase the cars were painted silver with black lettering. The tank 
cover was virtually the same but the dome was a bit different.

Cordially, Don Valentine


Schuyler Larrabee
 

Wasn’t that a wood kit, Don?  Northeastern?

 

Schuyler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald B. Valentine via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 4:15 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Barriger Library AC&F Photos

 

    Actually Monsanto Chemical had a car of two like the Eastman car that operated out of their

plant in Revere. Mass., just north of Boston. Years ago someone made a foil wrapper for a kit 

of these cars. I suspect foil becase the cars were painted silver with black lettering. The tank 

cover was virtually the same but the dome was a bit different.

 

Cordially, Don Valentine


Tony Thompson
 

Rob Simpson wrote:

I don't think I've seen an insulated tank like this USOX 17021. Tennessee Eastman Corp. Holston Ordanance Works nitric acid loading.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618638478/in/album-72157649155982802/

     Used in the 1920s for heavy acids like nitric and sulfuric, supposedly to let vapors sink out the bottom. Or something. That explanation always seemed lacking to me. But they were common at one time.

Tony Thompson




Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Friends,

While wandering through the AC&F photos, I came upon a four-wheeled "boxcar", Pond Fork & Bald Knob Railroad Co. 3. The PF&BK was a West Virginia shortline built circa 1926, which almost immediately became the C&O's Pond Fork branch. So what was this car for? Obviously with a link-and-pin coupler and no air brakes (the rather pathetic manual brakes are worked by the crank seen just beyond the coupler) it wasn't an interchange freight car. My conclusion is that this isn't a boxcar at all, but more likely a baggage trailer for a small self-propelled motor car, something like a Mack Model-B railbus.


The similarity to double-door box vans owned by the English narrow-gauge Lynton & Barnstable was not lost on me.  😉

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 9:02 AM David via groups.io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
After taking a break for a year or so, some early-1940s AC&F builder's
photos have been added to the Flickr page, including several USG-A
4-course tanks.

SHPX 17520:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619124151/in/album-72157649155982802/

USQX 11200 :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619388297/in/album-72157649155982802/

NdeM 45305:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618608328/in/album-72157649155982802/

David Thompson




Charles Peck
 

Our friend Garth posted an interesting photo along with the suggestion it might 
have been a trailer for a motor car of some sort.  I see that as a good possibility but 
here is another suggestion. I do not know anything about the Pond Fork & Bald Knob 
nut being in West Virginia, it might have been a logging road like the Cass.
It seems to me that loggers were among the last to use link and pin couplers.  Thus this 
might have carried logging tools to and from the work areas. 
Just a guess.
Chuck Peck

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 4:22 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
Friends,

While wandering through the AC&F photos, I came upon a four-wheeled "boxcar", Pond Fork & Bald Knob Railroad Co. 3. The PF&BK was a West Virginia shortline built circa 1926, which almost immediately became the C&O's Pond Fork branch. So what was this car for? Obviously with a link-and-pin coupler and no air brakes (the rather pathetic manual brakes are worked by the crank seen just beyond the coupler) it wasn't an interchange freight car. My conclusion is that this isn't a boxcar at all, but more likely a baggage trailer for a small self-propelled motor car, something like a Mack Model-B railbus.


The similarity to double-door box vans owned by the English narrow-gauge Lynton & Barnstable was not lost on me.  😉

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 9:02 AM David via groups.io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
After taking a break for a year or so, some early-1940s AC&F builder's
photos have been added to the Flickr page, including several USG-A
4-course tanks.

SHPX 17520:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619124151/in/album-72157649155982802/

USQX 11200 :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619388297/in/album-72157649155982802/

NdeM 45305:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618608328/in/album-72157649155982802/

David Thompson




Eric Hansmann
 

Interesting to see a 1943 build date on that USOX tank car. I did not know that design was used after the 1920s. I’m not used to seeing an AB brake system under a tank car like this.

 

 

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

 

 

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 6:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Barriger Library AC&F Photos

 

Rob Simpson wrote:



I don't think I've seen an insulated tank like this USOX 17021. Tennessee Eastman Corp. Holston Ordanance Works nitric acid loading.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49618638478/in/album-72157649155982802/

 

     Used in the 1920s for heavy acids like nitric and sulfuric, supposedly to let vapors sink out the bottom. Or something. That explanation always seemed lacking to me. But they were common at one time.

 

Tony Thompson