Boiler Load On Flat Car (Multiscale Digital Boilers)

Bob Chaparro

Multiscale Digital Boilers

Here are the boilers from the company's website:

HO Scale

https://multiscale.digital/collections/ho-1-87/products/ho-scale-birchfield-industrial-fire-tube-boiler-flatcar-load

N Scale

https://multiscale.digital/collections/n-1-160/products/n-scale-birchfield-industrial-fire-tube-boiler-flatcar-load-1

Some of the 3D printed surfaces look a little grainy to me.

Any comments or thoughts on how to remedy this?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

   Who was the firm that offered similar boilers but I believe they were sectional and for ships? Was it
Bruce Smith that posted photos of such a boiler as a flat car load some years ago? Those I could
easily justify here as opposed to an industrial boiler from a mid-western manufacturer. I believe it
was Alco that supplied ship boiler that passed through Vermont via a somewhat circuitous route to
Bath Iron Works in Bath, Me to be used in the destroyers they built during WW II.

Cordially, Don Valentine

John Barry

Don,

I believe that Bruce modified a Chooch boiler.  That was a variant of the "Scotch boiler" and not the type used in warships.  The Birchfield boilers of the current discussion originated at Tacoma Washington (State not District) at the Birchfield Shipbuilding & Boiler Co., Inc.,  located on the west side of the Blair Waterway, in the Port of Tacoma.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:13:38 AM EDT, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

   Who was the firm that offered similar boilers but I believe they were sectional and for ships? Was it
Bruce Smith that posted photos of such a boiler as a flat car load some years ago? Those I could
easily justify here as opposed to an industrial boiler from a mid-western manufacturer. I believe it
was Alco that supplied ship boiler that passed through Vermont via a somewhat circuitous route to
Bath Iron Works in Bath, Me to be used in the destroyers they built during WW II.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Allen Cain

Bob,

I received one of each and I was very pleased with the surface.  I agree that the surface looks grainy in the pictures.  But the actual surface on mine was just fine.  Also, note that there are bolt/rivet heads on a lot of the surfaces.

Allen Cain

Bruce Smith

John is correct. I modified a Chooch boiler by taking a slice out of the center and adding a wrapper, rivets, tie down points, loading pads, and created an "AMERICAN LOCOMOTIVE Co." decal for it. I loaded it onto an ECW 90 ton depressed center NYC flat car.
Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL