From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Williamson
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020 12:44 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Flat Car Load

Hi All,

I have an item I would like to make into a load for a HO 40' flat car.  The item measures out to 14' (HO Scale) width and the flat car deck is at 9' width.  Would that be allowable or is the item too wide for this flat car.

Thanks,

Randy Williamson

Randy Williamson

Hi Elden,

I have never heard or diagonal loading of cars.  Would it entail opposite corners of the load being off the car?

Randy

mopacfirst

I would suggest going to prr.railfan.net.

I've seen such cars shown there, in the flatcar section.  Don't have one at my fingertips, since I would probably never need one, but there is at least one diagram there that should help you.

Ron Merrick

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Randy;

This is a PRR F25C dedicated diagonal loading car, for boiler heads or plate steel wider (or taller) than the maximum of the clearance diagram.  Loads were tilted up diagonally, against the timbers, and secured with chains running from the floor, up over the top of the load, and attached to the timbers.  The entire load and car had to fit inside the clearance diagram.  The loaded cars were shipped in “High and Wide” shipments in certain trains, and were continuously checked along the way to ensure no load shifting occurred that would cause a load to hit something, like a bridge entry, tunnel entry, etc.

Elden Gatwood