Topics

Walthers 40' gon

Is there an actual prototype for Walthers 933-6859 40' gondola?  I did a search in the group files but did not find anything.  I have the unbuilt kit.  Not sure I really need it unless it can be built into something correct.  It is an undecorated kit.  Not sure I want to try tracking down decals for a model that does not represent a real prototype.

Tim O'Connor

Rodger-Hart gondolas were center dump cars mostly used for sand and stone and railroads
bought them for maintenance of way. But I think there was more than one style, so you'd
have to research your prototype.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

mofwcaboose <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

There was considerable variation in "Hart Convertible gondolas" as they were also called. A big selling point was that they could be used in revenue service as well as non-revenue service, which is why so many were listed in the ORER freight car rosters. In time most were relegated to maintenance of way. Some had side doors and removable ends so that they could be used with the Lidgerwood Rapid unloader. Many also had floors that could peaked in the middle to make them self-emptying.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

Rodger-Hart gondolas were center dump cars mostly used for sand and
stone and railroads
bought them for maintenance of way. But I think there was more than one
style, so you'd
have to research your prototype.

On 4/21/2020 11:40 PM, Hugh Guillaume via groups.io wrote:
> Is there an actual prototype for Walthers 933-6859 40' gondola?  I did
> a search in the group files but did not find anything.  I have the
> unbuilt kit.  Not sure I really need it unless it can be built into
> something correct.  It is an undecorated kit.  Not sure I want to try
> tracking down decals for a model that does not represent a real prototype.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Steven D Johnson

Hugh,

According to the Walthers item number you provided, the kit you have is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walthers-933-6859-Undecorated-40-039-Gondola-Kit-/233539963738?hash=item3660110b5a%3Ag%3ACNQAAOSwTYFefRcq&nma=true&si=00KqBGaBxMinvCDUfvPmhMPgVTI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It’s a model of a USRA WW I-era composite drop-bottom gondola with numerous prototypes. InterMountain produces a better-detailed model in HO.

I’ll let the other guys chime in with more, but also found these on-line:

https://mrr.trains.com/-/media/import/files/pdf/7/5/f/transition-era_gondolas.pdf

and

 U.S.R.A. Composite Gondola
Prototype Modeler, August 1979 page 39
( GONDOLA, "HENDRICKSON, RICHARD", USRA, FREIGHTCAR, PROTOTYPE, PMM )

USRA Composite Gondola: 50-ton drop-bottom car
Mainline Modeler, July/August 1981 page 18
Article also published in The Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Volume 3 , page 23
( C&O, CB&Q, DRAWING, GONDOLA, "HUNDMAN, ROBERT L.", L&N, "LANE, JAMES E.", MP, NYC,
SR, USRA, FREIGHTCAR, PROTOTYPE, MM )

USRA Composite Gondola: Construction in HO scale
Mainline Modeler, September/October 1981 page 20
Article also published in The Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Volume 3 , page 30
( DRAWING, GONDOLA, "HUNDMAN, ROBERT L.", SCRATCHBUILD, USRA, CONSTRUCTION, FREIGHTCAR,
PROTOTYPE, HO, MM )

USRA Composite Gondola: 50-ton drop-bottom car
The Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Volume 3 page 23
Article also published in Mainline Modeler, July/August 1981, page 18
( C&O, CB&Q, DRAWING, GONDOLA, "HUNDMAN, ROBERT L.", L&N, "LANE, JAMES E.", MP, NYC,
SR, USRA, FREIGHTCAR, PROTOTYPE )

USRA Composite Gondola: Construction in HO scale
The Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Volume 3 page 30
Article also published in Mainline Modeler, September/October 1981, page 20
( DRAWING, GONDOLA, "HUNDMAN, ROBERT L.", SCRATCHBUILD, USRA, CONSTRUCTION,
FREIGHTCAR, PROTOTYPE )

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN

Is there an actual prototype for Walthers 933-6859 40' gondola?  I did a search in the group files but did not find anything.  I have the unbuilt kit.  Not sure I really need it unless it can be built into something correct.  It is an undecorated kit.  Not sure I want to try tracking down decals for a model that does not represent a real prototype.

That is the kit that I have.  I have chosen not to build it.  I will send it to anyone who will cover the cost of priority mail.  HTG

John Larkin

If still available (great price) I'll cut you a check or if it's close just send cash.

John Larkin

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 12:06:06 PM CDT, Hugh Guillaume via groups.io <mguill1224@...> wrote:

That is the kit that I have.  I have chosen not to build it.  I will send it to anyone who will cover the cost of priority mail.  HTG

To: John Larkin

Send your mailing address to me at: mguill1224 "at" aol "dot" com.