B&O P-25D in HO

Jim King

Attached is a low-rez photo of an Intermountain 70-ton AAR bulkhead flat I modified to represent a B&O P-25D.  The car represents 1 of 50 built at B&O’s Dubois PA shops in 1959 wearing stenciling that’s about a year later than the 6-61 reweigh date.

A light application of Turpenoid and black, oil-based powder, was brushed on the laser-cut deck and ends as a base coat.  All subsequent weathering to the deck, sides and ends was done with MANY layers of powders ranging from red to orange to dark grey.

An article on how to make this car, including the hardware locker on the “A” end, will appear in Issue 52 of the B&O Modeler to be published later this year.  Here's the link to that site:  https://borhs.org/modelermag/index.html.  Really interesting articles from previous issues are available for download.

O Fenton Wells

Nice looking car Jim. Well done

On Apr 23, 2020, at 5:00 PM, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Attached is a low-rez photo of an Intermountain 70-ton AAR bulkhead flat I modified to represent a B&O P-25D.  The car represents 1 of 50 built at B&O’s Dubois PA shops in 1959 wearing stenciling that’s about a year later than the 6-61 reweigh date.

A light application of Turpenoid and black, oil-based powder, was brushed on the laser-cut deck and ends as a base coat.  All subsequent weathering to the deck, sides and ends was done with MANY layers of powders ranging from red to orange to dark grey.

An article on how to make this car, including the hardware locker on the “A” end, will appear in Issue 52 of the B&O Modeler to be published later this year.  Here's the link to that site:  https://borhs.org/modelermag/index.html.  Really interesting articles from previous issues are available for download.

<B&O 9425 angled 1 lo rez captioned.jpg>

Jim Betz

Jim,

  Do you know why the decal film forms a 'shadow' around all of the
lettering?  Did you decal after the weathering of the areas where
the decals are?  Lighting?  (Some times decals will reflect a flash
when without that intensity of light you don't see them.)

  It is not obtrusive - I think it is a great looking car and would be
happy to be able to say "I did this" of that car.

  Does any one know what service cars like this one were most
likely used in?  I'm referring to the low bulkhead ends.
                                                                                        - Jim

Bruce Griffin

Jim,

Great looking model.  Were these the cars modified for drywall loading?

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Craig Wilson

B&O cars were modified specifically for "gypsum wallboard" loading in the 1950's when a large gypsum deposit was discovered near Shoals Indiana.  Note that the Intermountain model has "Return to B&O RR Shoals Ind" lettering.  Both National Gypsum (Gold Bond products) and US Gypsum(USG "Sheetrock") built plants in that area and the railroad built a long, long spur to serve those plants (can be seen on Google Earth aerial views).

These cars served other National Gypsum and USG plants around the country.  I have a photo of two of these B&O cars with "Gold Bond" loads at Portsmouth Maine in the 1960's.

Craig Wilson

Jim King

I don’t understand your comment re: a “shadow” around the decal edges.  Nothing shows up on my images and except in 1 spot where a little white from an adjoining decal was included when I cut from a sheet.  The posted image, being low rez, might be slightly distorted.  I’ve attached a close up of lettering but also low rez just to be emailable.  I don’t seen any “shadow” around lettering that you asked about.  Maybe I’m missing something?

The car was painted Floquil Grimy black with 10% gloss added and the thin-film decals nestled in quickly with diluted Solvaset, then full-strength Solvaset on the 2nd application.  The car was oversprayed with Rustoleum Frosted Clear, when weathering applied in multiple layers on top of that.  No clear coat was applied after dusting simply because the coating obliterates the powders.

These cars were used to haul plasterboard (“sheet rock”) and the loads were wrapped in Gold Bond orange and white sheets.  I’m planning to create this load and present it to the B&O Modeler staff as a follow up article.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

Eric Hansmann

I like the subtle change in shade on the repainted areas for the weight and repack stencils. Very nice!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

Thanks, Eric.

I used Micro Scale’s TF-2 (black) which is shown as out of stock on their web site.  Any blank decal paper can be used, just paint it the color you want.  For my application, I taped off a small section of TF-2 with blue painter’s tape and shot the uncovered area with Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel to get a glossy finish.  When dry, I cut out panels sized to be a tad bigger than the “restenciled” characters and applied it like any other decal.  The white graphics went on next.  I’ve seen many examples of brown patches on black cars and the reverse.  Whatever the car shop guys had handy is what got used quite often.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

Fran Giacoma

Great looking car, Jim. The weathering is superb and very realistic looking. I look forward to your article in Issue 52 of the B&O Modeler.

Fran Giacoma

Tim O'Connor

Jim

I think he meant the tiny "air pockets" visible in your photo. I think we
recently discussed this - it can be fixed prior to an overcoat with pin-pricks
and additional decal solvent, but afterwards - not so much.

It doesn't detract from your model! I HAVE this B&O Intermountain flat car so
I will be looking at your instructions for the equipment locker. :-)

Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

On 4/24/2020 12:15 PM, Jim King wrote:

[...]

Attachments: