Topics

former VGN cars?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Are the six axle gons former VGN cars? If so, they are far from home.

More information can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Didn’t C&IM have some battleship gons?

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Apr 23, 2020, at 6:09 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Are the six axle gons former VGN cars? If so, they are far from home.

More information can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

bongiovanni12001

Judging by the appearance of those cars and the date of the picture, they could very well be Virginian “battleship gons” that were sold by the railroad and used as storage bins or scrapped.  The railroad was decreasing the number of those cars in active service throughout the 1950s, and only a comparative few were left at the time of the merger with N&W. I believe the N&W got rid of the ones left within about 18 months.

C&IM had some similar looking cars, but they were 70 ton cars on 4 wheel trucks, IIRC.

Frank Bongiovanni

gary laakso

More likely C&IM gondolas that were akin to the VGN types.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Are the six axle gons former VGN cars? If so, they are far from home.

More information can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

I'm surprised nobody has commented that the left hand "Battleship" gondola is lettered USN. I suppose it's appropriate letter on a battleship. (Ewwww!)  I'm supposing that these cars were sold off to the gummint during WWII for on-base use (interchange use should have required USNX reporting marks).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 7:40 PM gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

More likely C&IM gondolas that were akin to the VGN types.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Are the six axle gons former VGN cars? If so, they are far from home.

More information can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

vapeurchapelon

Hello Gary,

these cars are indeed former VGN battleship gons because of their 6-wheel trucks (and their height and other proportions). The C&IM gons were much lower and rode on 4-wheel trucks (as Frank already pointed out).

Johannes

Gesendet: Freitag, 24. April 2020 um 01:40 Uhr
Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] former VGN cars?

More likely C&IM gondolas that were akin to the VGN types.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Are the six axle gons former VGN cars? If so, they are far from home.

More information can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Daniel A. Mitchell

A few of the big ex VGN “Battleship” gons ended up at Northwestern Steel & Wire in Rockford, IL. They were there in the early 1980’s at least, still showing some VGN lettering, being used for scrap iron movements within the plant, and terribly beat-up. They were being moved about by a bunch of ex GTW 0-8-0 and 2-8-2 steam locos, also in terrible shape.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Apr 23, 2020, at 7:08 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Are the six axle gons former VGN cars? If so, they are far from home.

More information can be found at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

vapeurchapelon

Hello Dan,

don't know if it was there (but I believe), but I remember the story of using some of these cars for scrap iron movements. Someone said that the cars in that service were WAY overloaded - wich is easy to believe comparing the densitiy of scrap steel and that of coal, for which they originally were designed. Such a car FULLY loaded with scrap steel probabaly weighed in excess of 200 tons, and it has been stated that occasionally a car just broke in half at the short way from scrap loading to plant...

Johannes, sad that none of these cars has been preserved