Photo: Pullman Company Boxcar PLM X2023

Bob Chaparro

Edited

Photo: Pullman Company Boxcar PLM X2023

A 1940 builder's photo from the Illinois Digital Archives:

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/pshs/id/19536/rec/72
There are additional photos referenced to the right of the photo box.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ray Hutchison

What were these used for?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 6:27 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Pullman Company Boxcar PLM X2023

A 1940 builder's photo from the Illinois Digital Archives:

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/pshs/id/19536/rec/72

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Barry

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/pshs/id/19536/rec/72

Use of the PLM box would be pure speculation on my part, but the detail photo in the link above clearly shows the imperfect alignment of the end and side grabs.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 06:36:38 PM EDT, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

What were these used for?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 6:27 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Pullman Company Boxcar PLM X2023

A 1940 builder's photo from the Illinois Digital Archives:

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/pshs/id/19536/rec/72

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charles Peck

I can easily imagine the uses Pullman could have for boxcars.
First, samples to send around for railroads to examine.
Secondly, resupplying the many repair and service points of the Pullman system
all over the country.  Light bulbs, brake shoes, generator belts, toilet paper, and
certainly jugs of that special Pullman disinfectant with the special aroma.
Everything from air conditioning fans to tickets had to be on hand everywhere
Pullman went.  Ship it by rail was the sensible way to go.
Chuck Peck

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 6:36 PM Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:
What were these used for?

_._,_._,_

Bruce Smith

I believe that Pullman used them as demonstrators in order to sell railroads on their features. Some may also have been used as test cars to see how some features functioned in real life use.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

A 1940 builder's photo from the Illinois Digital Archives:

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/pshs/id/19536/rec/72

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Michael Aufderheide

All,

See page 200 of RPCYC 31& 32, likely just a static test car.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide