P2k "Time Saver" kits

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

I have a bunch of Proto 2000 models that have become surplus to my needs, that are going on e-Bay this weekend. Some are fully assembled, some are kits, and some are Time-Saver kits. I seem to recall that the later were partially assembled, but what was assembled? Can someone refresh my memory as to how much assembly was done, please?

Dennis (e-Bay seller model-men) Storzek

Todd Sullivan

Hi Dennis,

To answer your question with one kit as an example ...

I just received a P2K ATSF Fe-24 50ft auto boxcar kit that is a Time-Saver kit.  The main parts are the body shell and floor / underframe.  The body has the running board and laterals with handgrabs attached to the roof, and the handbrake equipment attached to the B end.  The floor / underframe has the center sill molding and brake system assembled together.  The separate part sprues for the modeler to work with are for the doors, side and end ladders and handgrabs, corner stirrup steps, tack boards, draft gear boxes and couplers and the trucks.

I hope that gives you an idea.  I think I bought a Mather boxcar kit that was also a Time-Saver quite a while ago, and it had a similar level of assembly to the ATSF kit.  IIRC, Life Like also had some tank car kits as Time-Saver kits.

Todd Sullivan

Todd Sullivan

And the steel weight is separate and securely taped to the  bottom of the box.  It gets glued to the top of the floor / underframe assembly.

Todd Sullivan

Rob & Bev Manley

The War Emergency 2-Bay hoppers were also Timesavers. The brake detailing and underframe was assembled with the body.

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Thursday, April 23, 2020, 10:19:58 PM CDT, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

And the steel weight is separate and securely taped to the  bottom of the box.  It gets glued to the top of the floor / underframe assembly.

Todd Sullivan

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

Thanks to all that replied, both on and off list. It looks like the partial assembly fell short of moving these kits into the "easy build" category, so I think I'll stick with describing them as "partially assembled" and leave it at that.

Dennis Storzek