NKP rebuilt box

mopacfirst

Found this interesting car on line.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nkp/nkp08239jpa.jpg

Was this rebuilt from a war emergency boxcar?

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

Yes, definitely. Built in 1944.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Brian Carlson

Yes NKP rebuilt some (goal was 100 cars, not sure if all were done) war emergency cars into this configuration in 1964. beyond the end of this list.

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 27, 2020, at 11:48 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net> wrote:

Yes, definitely. Built in 1944.

On 4/27/2020 11:33 AM, mopacfirst wrote:
Found this interesting car on line.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nkp/nkp08239jpa.jpg

Was this rebuilt from a war emergency boxcar?

Ron Merrick

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

mopacfirst

So a related question.  Sorry I can't look this up since my NKP-(Wabash?) color guide is in storage and so are my old MRding, which IIRC had an article on the War Emergency boxcars.  Did substantial numbers of these cars last until at least the late fifties in unrebuilt form, and how accurate is the Intermountain model?  I did not acquire one when they appeared, either because I didn't think I needed one or because there was some major flaw in the model.

Ron Merrick

Brian Carlson

The intermountain model is accurate for the NKP. All of them stayed as built thru the 1950’s. Later there steel side rebuilds and coke cars but those happen in the future.

Some additional lettering can be added to the NKP cars on the ends and the trust info on the sides.
As a 200 car class it is in the minority so you probably only need one.

Eastern Ohio trains still had some in stock last I checked.

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 27, 2020, at 12:51 PM, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

So a related question.  Sorry I can't look this up since my NKP-(Wabash?) color guide is in storage and so are my old MRding, which IIRC had an article on the War Emergency boxcars.  Did substantial numbers of these cars last until at least the late fifties in unrebuilt form, and how accurate is the Intermountain model?  I did not acquire one when they appeared, either because I didn't think I needed one or because there was some major flaw in the model.

Ron Merrick

WILLIAM PARDIE

I know that the ends and underbody on these cars were black.  Was rhe roof black as well?

Thanks:

Bill Pardie

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

WILLIAM PARDIE

Clarification:  My question on color was in regards to the as built cars.

Thanks again:

Bill Pardie

Yes NKP rebuilt some (goal was 100 cars, not sure if all were done) war emergency cars into this configuration in 1964.  beyond the end of this list.

Brian J. Carlson
> On Apr 27, 2020, at 11:48 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
>

> Yes, definitely. Built in 1944.
>

>> On 4/27/2020 11:33 AM, mopacfirst wrote:
>> Found this interesting car on line.
>>
>> http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nkp/nkp08239jpa.jpg
>>
>> Was this rebuilt from a war emergency boxcar?
>>
>> Ron Merrick
>

> --
> *Tim O'Connor*
> *Sterling, Massachusetts*

Ray Breyer

As built, it was bare metal with black ribs. Eventially, they were painted asphaltum overall.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

--
*Tim O'Connor*