nice scene showing a bulk oil dealership

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

There is a nice scene showing a bulk oil dealership in 1924. Very model-genic.

Oh yes, there is also a steam era freight car for us to enjoy as well – tank car PARX 848

Claus Schlund

Bruce Smith

Claus,

What a great image!  It almost makes me want to model 1924...

It looks like a GATC type 17 radial course tank car. And those tank trucks!

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

There is a nice scene showing a bulk oil dealership in 1924. Very model-genic.

Oh yes, there is also a steam era freight car for us to enjoy as well – tank car PARX 848

Claus Schlund

Richard Townsend

Sinclair took over Producers and Refiners, also known as Parco. The Wyoming town where Parco had its refinery was named Parco, and was renamed Sinclair.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

There is a nice scene showing a bulk oil dealership in 1924. Very model-genic.

Oh yes, there is also a steam era freight car for us to enjoy as well – tank car PARX 848

Claus Schlund

Allen Cain

Claus,

Thanks for the picture. I just received my first order of ELAINE and it will be perfect for those tie downs.

Allen Cain

Lee Thwaits

Any idea what kind of trucks those are?
Lee Thwaits

Allen Cain

Darn spell check!

EZLINE

Allen Cain

Schuyler Larrabee

LOVE the trucks!

Schuyler

There is a nice scene showing a bulk oil dealership in 1924. Very model-genic.

Oh yes, there is also a steam era freight car for us to enjoy as well – tank car PARX 848

Claus Schlund

Tim O'Connor

Looks like a Jordan truck model, eh?

And Parco, Wyoming? Could that be what later becomes Sinclair, Wyoming (home of Sinclair petroleum)??

Tim O'Connor

On 5/1/2020 4:23 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Claus,

What a great image!  It almost makes me want to model 1924...

It looks like a GATC type 17 radial course tank car. And those tank trucks!

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

There is a nice scene showing a bulk oil dealership in 1924. Very model-genic.

Oh yes, there is also a steam era freight car for us to enjoy as well – tank car PARX 848

Claus Schlund

Sterling, Massachusetts

Douglas Harding

The Jordan trucks were Mack Bulldogs. This is not a Mack bulldog. Might be a Fageol, predecessor to Peterbilt. But I’m not sure.

Parco was purchased by Sinclair in the early 30s. The town changed it’s name in 1943.

https://www.rawlinstimes.com/news/oil-shaped-the-history-of-parco-sinclair/article_3ff8a761-7455-5818-a1cb-eef5c1575560.html

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 06:22 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

The Jordan trucks were Mack Bulldogs. This is not a Mack bulldog. Might be a Fageol, predecessor to Peterbilt. But I’m not sure.

Doug, I'm sure he meant the tank and tank fittings, which DO look like the Jordan tank truck model. These trucks date to the time when all you got from the truck manufacturer was the chassis and engine bonnet, and had to go to an independent body builder for the rest.

I agree with Fageol, it looks like their name in script on the radiator tank.

Dennis Storzek

Douglas Harding

Dennis you are correct the tank looks like the one from Jordon. But the original question had been out what kind of truck, which I thought Tim was responding. Just to keep this focus on modeling attached is a photo of what friend did with the Jordon tank.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 06:22 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

The Jordan trucks were Mack Bulldogs. This is not a Mack bulldog. Might be a Fageol, predecessor to Peterbilt. But I’m not sure.

Doug, I'm sure he meant the tank and tank fittings, which DO look like the Jordan tank truck model. These trucks date to the time when all you got from the truck manufacturer was the chassis and engine bonnet, and had to go to an independent body builder for the rest.

I agree with Fageol, it looks like their name in script on the radiator tank.

Dennis Storzek

Andy Carlson

Dennis, and others-

Fageols of this era have distinctive saw-toothed fins going down the middle ridge of the hood. The trucks questioned lack that trait, so I believe that they are some other brand.
-Andy Carlson

Look at these saw-toothed fins on top of the hood

On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 8:36:12 AM PDT, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 06:22 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

The Jordan trucks were Mack Bulldogs. This is not a Mack bulldog. Might be a Fageol, predecessor to Peterbilt. But I’m not sure.

Doug, I'm sure he meant the tank and tank fittings, which DO look like the Jordan tank truck model. These trucks date to the time when all you got from the truck manufacturer was the chassis and engine bonnet, and had to go to an independent body builder for the rest.

I agree with Fageol, it looks like their name in script on the radiator tank.

Dennis Storzek

Mont Switzer

The individuals and/or companies offering tank wagon servcie were typically independent contractors.  They owned the chassis as Dennis mentioned.  However, where branding was involved (like Standard Oil, Shell, Conoco, Mobil, D-X, etc.) then tanks were typically owned by the oil company and bore their graphics on the sides and back end.

The men that I knew in this business purchased their chassis locally.  They had to meet certain specifications, but then the owner could roll in his own perks or preferences.  Once the chassis was acquired, typically factory painted the correct color, the new owner then drove it to the oil company maintenance shop and later the tank manufacturer's facility where the pre-painted tank was installed.

Tanks were built so that mounting pads lined up with frame rails.  They were usually mounted on 2 x 4 hardwood spacers and secured with U bolts.  Later frames were drilled and mounting brackets on the on the tanks were secured with grade 8 bolts.  A PTO (power take off typically factory installed on the transmission)  also had to be hooked up to the tank to operate the pump or pumps.  5 compartment tanks were typical.

The tanks often outlived the chassis.  You could therefore see some pitifully small older tanks on a more modern chassis.

Tank wagon chassis lived a pretty good life and were popular with farmers as second hand purchases.  You might see a yellow grain truck at the elevator that was obviously a former shell jobber chassis, as an example.

I remember when SUNOCO took over the D-X petroleum distribution in my area the local jobber Don Butler drover his truck to Indianapolis to get the paint changed from red to blue and gray with yellow lettering.  Don bought a new chassis (blue cab) a year or two later and had the same tank mounted on it.  The end customer might not have noticed.

My Dad. William M. Switzer,  was a D-X jobber in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

Mont Switzer