Greg Martin

Lloyd Keyser

Stunned to hear about Greg. My condolences  to the family. Always looked forward to seeing and talking to him at Napervile. Enjoyed his clinics and built two of his cars featured in Model Railroader. Always a gentleman and willing to share his ideas. Another great loss.

John Barry

I am deeply saddened by Greg's passing.  I've been following his progress and set backs over the last several weeks and praying for his recovery.  Although I don't have a long history with Greg, I was inspired by his Shake-n-Take clinic at Cocoa Beach in 2015.  So much so, that this middling modeler developed and presented this year's SnT clinic with a lot of support and encouragement from Greg.  I had some grandiose ideas for the clinic that Greg gently counselled  me into scaling back to the clinic you saw in January.  He was a guiding light for getting the Bx-34 done and I am honored that I had the chance to work alongside him this last year.  I was looking forward to more collaboration in the future, but that has been cut short by an invisible pathogen.  But my loss is nothing to compare to that of his family, who brought Greg a lot of joy.  I extend them my deepest sympathies.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

Mont Switzer

Good morning John Barry,

Am I one of those guys who is supposed to tell someone (you?) that I still need the Duryea under frame for this project?  I know there was a list about a week ago but with work and all it got away from me.

Your kind words about Greg are appreciated.  I've had about 15 hours now to dwell upon all of the neat times we had, both having enjoyed the Cocoa and other meets for the better part of 20 years.  Greg always called me his "mentor" when in fact an early article he did on kit bashing an NYC stock car is what really opened my eyes as to how in-depth kit bashing can go, and how fun it is.  I think he had the "mentor" thing backwards.

Mont Switzer

[...]

Peter Weiglin

Just got off the phone with Bob Hundman; we commiserated over the passing of Greg Martin.  And we agree that while ihis passing is a tragedy, we can minimize our grief by dwelling on how lucky we all are that Greg was with us at al, and for as long as he was. This hobby and this world are better because he was here.;

Peter Weiglin

golden1014

Hi Guys,

I case you never met him, I thought I'd share of my friend "TGreg", as I called him, at Cocoa Beach in January 2009.  That's Greg on the right and Chris "Ziggy" Zygmunt at left.

Godspeed, brother.

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

RPM Blog: https://railroadprototypemodeler.wordpress.com/

Richard Townsend

I am proud to have called Greg my friend. He was such a good and generous man. Kitbashing is my favorite part of the hobby and I felt he was a kindred spirit.

I'm very much a loner-type, and he often encouraged me to go to Cocoa Beach. As a result, in 2018 and again this year I went. He made a point of including me in various conversations and activities, and introducing me around.

He lived about 50 miles from me and I used to run into him from time to time at our "local" hobby shop (about 90 miles from me and 40 from him) or at swap meets. A couple of years ago he came by my table at a swap meet where, among other things, I had several C&BT double door box cars for sale. He told me I should hang onto them as they would being coming in handy soon. I assumed he was talking about an upcoming S'n'T project. He got a great deal of joy out of keeping S'n'T projects secret, so I knew better than to ask him about it.

Late last year he and I shared some tables at a local swap meet and during that day I learned so much from him as we chatted at slow times about items on our tables or what we could pick up at others' tables. As he would tell me about a kitbashing opportunity I would circulate around the room to pick up the model he was talking about. I was able to find a couple of items for him, too.

He organized an RPM meet in Salem, Oregon, called "Rails by the River," for a couple of years, until his health issues got in the way. In January at Cocoa Beach he told me he was planning on reviving it next year.

I will miss him terribly. Cocoa Beach certainly won't be the same without him.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I case you never met him, I thought I'd share of my friend "TGreg", as I called him, at Cocoa Beach in January 2009.  That's Greg on the right and Chris "Ziggy" Zygmunt at left.

Godspeed, brother.

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

RPM Blog: https://railroadprototypemodeler.wordpress.com/

Mikebrock

Prototype Rails has lost one of its founders and I have lost a dear friend, Greg Martin. . Greg was the Voice of Prototype Rails. More than that, of course, he was a key part of operation of the meet, handling the auction along with Mark Kerlick. He also was the power behind the Shake N' Take. Greg and I go back to the origins of Prototype Rails, many years ago. Like many, I watched Greg's fight, praying he would pull through. I will have trouble losing him. Condolences to his family.

Mike Brock