Topics

Photo: LV Boxcar 62182 With Weed Chains Load

Bob Chaparro

Photo: LV Boxcar 62182 With Weed Chains Load

A 1915 photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6891hs0

From the text on the banner I guess those folks in Utah had been using their electric weed-whackers before this car arrived, assuming that earlier they had received a carload of extension cords.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charles Peck

Snow chains were invented by Harry Weed in 1904.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: LV Boxcar 62182 With Weed Chains Load

A 1915 photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6891hs0

From the text on the banner I guess those folks in Utah had been using their electric weed-whackers before this car arrived, assuming that earlier they had received a carload of extension cords.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tom Madden

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 11:09 AM, Charles Peck wrote:
Snow chains were invented by Harry Weed in 1904.
Chuck Peck
I just googled "weed chains" and got a full page of links for necklaces displaying precious metal replica marijuana leaves......

I suppose "beer garden" wouldn't lead me to information on composting brewery waste, either...

Tom Madden

Lee

I’m thinking these may have been chains that had sharpened edges that were dragged behind a tractor or run off a PTO driven propeller under a platform deck.  Would cut the weeds and thicker grasses without disturbing the ground too much and creating a lot of dust. Plus if it hit a rock they didn’t create sparks or bust a typical blade.

Lee Stoermer
Aldie, VA

On Sunday, May 3, 2020, 13:10, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

Snow chains were invented by Harry Weed in 1904.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: LV Boxcar 62182 With Weed Chains Load

A 1915 photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6891hs0

From the text on the banner I guess those folks in Utah had been using their electric weed-whackers before this car arrived, assuming that earlier they had received a carload of extension cords.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Lee

Hit send before adding the link of a more current version.

Lee Stoermer
Aldie, VA

On Sunday, May 3, 2020, 16:42, Lee via groups.io <leetrains@...> wrote:

I’m thinking these may have been chains that had sharpened edges that were dragged behind a tractor or run off a PTO driven propeller under a platform deck.  Would cut the weeds and thicker grasses without disturbing the ground too much and creating a lot of dust. Plus if it hit a rock they didn’t create sparks or bust a typical blade.

Lee Stoermer
Aldie, VA

On Sunday, May 3, 2020, 13:10, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

Snow chains were invented by Harry Weed in 1904.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: LV Boxcar 62182 With Weed Chains Load

A 1915 photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6891hs0

From the text on the banner I guess those folks in Utah had been using their electric weed-whackers before this car arrived, assuming that earlier they had received a carload of extension cords.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Patrick Wade

If you Google weed chains for grass cutting there will be an image of a hub to fit on a weed whacker like device with two lengths of chain extending from the hub. Similar to a medieval flailing weapon.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 1:42 PM Lee via groups.io <leetrains=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’m thinking these may have been chains that had sharpened edges that were dragged behind a tractor or run off a PTO driven propeller under a platform deck.  Would cut the weeds and thicker grasses without disturbing the ground too much and creating a lot of dust. Plus if it hit a rock they didn’t create sparks or bust a typical blade.

Lee Stoermer
Aldie, VA

On Sunday, May 3, 2020, 13:10, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

Snow chains were invented by Harry Weed in 1904.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: LV Boxcar 62182 With Weed Chains Load

A 1915 photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6891hs0

From the text on the banner I guess those folks in Utah had been using their electric weed-whackers before this car arrived, assuming that earlier they had received a carload of extension cords.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charles Peck

If it worked, here is an advertisement for Weed Chains.
If not, here is a link.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 4:42 PM Lee via groups.io <leetrains=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’m thinking these may have been chains that had sharpened edges that were dragged behind a tractor or run off a PTO driven propeller under a platform deck.  Would cut the weeds and thicker grasses without disturbing the ground too much and creating a lot of dust. Plus if it hit a rock they didn’t create sparks or bust a typical blade.

Lee Stoermer
Aldie, VA

On Sunday, May 3, 2020, 13:10, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

Snow chains were invented by Harry Weed in 1904.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: LV Boxcar 62182 With Weed Chains Load

A 1915 photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6891hs0

From the text on the banner I guess those folks in Utah had been using their electric weed-whackers before this car arrived, assuming that earlier they had received a carload of extension cords.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA