COHS PM Decals

Friends,

Today I found this listing on the Chesapeake & Ohio Historical Society's web page for PM decals: https://chessieshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41_42&products_id=3707 . This looks like a nice set, but appears to be rather generic.

Smokebox Graphics is a company of which I have never heard. Have any of you used their products, and if so, how do the stack up?

This appears to be the only steam-era freight set currently available from COHS. All the rest are either passenger cars/locomotive or too modern for us.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Fritz Milhaupt

There is no other word for Smokebox Graphics' PM freight car and caboose decal set than "excellent". It contains lettering for PM flat cars, covered hoppers, 40- and 50-foot boxcars, 40-foot gondolas and PM cabooses.

The printing (by Cartograf) is crisp, and the artwork is accurate. One set should permit you to decal at least four assorted cars, and includes equipment trust lettering and a variety of repack and reweigh dates. This set is complete.

When I was actively making and selling decals, I'd often thought about making a "master" set for PM freight cars. Smokebox Graphics actually went ahead and did it. Excellently.

- Fritz Milhaupt
Modeling Editor, Pere Marquette Historical Society

Paul Krueger

Smokebox Graphics has an information sheet for this set on their website.

http://smokeboxgraphics.com/assets/df0187_instructions-color-web.pdf

They also have a few additional steam-era decal sets.
http://smokeboxgraphics.com/decals.html

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Chet

Smokebox Graphics also offer an Ann Arbor box car set which will do four cars.  The set covers the 1950's.  A Buffalo Creek set which will do two cars.  Early 1950's.
and a New Haven set for a 1955 reblt 1937 AAR car  in the orange scheme with the large NH.  He was at the Chicagoland meet a few years ago and I purchased the
Ann Arbor set then.

Chet French
Dixon, IL