Topics

RI 1944 AAR Boxcar -- C&BT Upgrade #2

Bob Chapman

Here's the second of the six C&BT 1944 AAR boxcars rescued from the bottom of the unbuilt kit stash, upgraded with contemporary parts.

This one is C&BT's 12-panel carbody variation. Key detail parts include Yarmouth US Gypsum running board, Kadee ladders/grabs/brakewheel, Tahoe Barber S-2's, and Mask Island decals. Always liked Rock Island -- it definitely rocks.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Paul Doggett

Bob

That’s looking really good.

Paul Doggett

On 9 May 2020, at 20:14, Bob Chapman <chapbob611@...> wrote:

Here's the second of the six C&BT 1944 AAR boxcars rescued from the bottom of the unbuilt kit stash, upgraded with contemporary parts.

This one is C&BT's 12-panel carbody variation. Key detail parts include Yarmouth US Gypsum running board, Kadee ladders/grabs/brakewheel, Tahoe Barber S-2's, and Mask Island decals. Always liked Rock Island -- it definitely rocks.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Attachments:

James Brewer

Bob,

Great work!  How did you fade the body color?

Jim Brewer

Bill Keene

Lookin’ good Bob,

Yup! the Rock Island does rock!!

I just might have one of these CB&T kits way way back in the cabinet. You have prompted the need to get an archeological dig underway. :-)

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 9, 2020, at 12:14 PM, Bob Chapman <chapbob611@...> wrote:

Here's the second of the six C&BT 1944 AAR boxcars rescued from the bottom of the unbuilt kit stash, upgraded with contemporary parts.

This one is C&BT's 12-panel carbody variation. Key detail parts include Yarmouth US Gypsum running board, Kadee ladders/grabs/brakewheel, Tahoe Barber S-2's, and Mask Island decals. Always liked Rock Island -- it definitely rocks.

Regards,
Bob Chapman
<RI 25466 Unptd.JPG><RI 25466 Wea.JPG>

Rob & Bev Manley

Bob,
The Rock is my 2nd fave road. Your car looks faantastik. The weathering is spot on for an earlier age and the decals look really good from here too. You are making me sorry I gave away my CBT car kits.

Sincerely,
Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Saturday, May 9, 2020, 03:03:51 PM CDT, Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Brewer asks:
How did you fade the body color?

Hi, Jim --

The color on the sides is a 50-50 mix of Floquil BCR and Oxide Red, untinted. I like to fade the roofs of my cars, and on the RI car I added a bit of white to tint this same mix -- but this is hard to see in the photo angle.

The Mask Island decals aren't 100% opaque, which gives them a bit of a natural faded look. The weathering was in tribute to Greg Martin, using his Post-It technique with Testor's Rubber at the seams. With a 12-panel car, it seemed especially right to highlight the seams.

Re fading, I'm intrigued with Rapido's announcement of their new "fade" paint, but in a search a few weeks ago, I wasn't able to come up with a US source for it.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Tony Thompson

     Bob, just saw your "rescue" of a C&BT Shops box car. These kits have an undeservedly bad reputation, because of the truly awful detail sprues, but the car bodies are usable for a number of prototypes. Doing as you did, replacing all the details, is exactly the right approach.
      And the paint and light weathering are fine too!

Tony Thompson

James Brewer

Thanks Bob!