Topics

Paint Question On FW&D Boxcars

WILLIAM PARDIE

In my isolation I am completing work on  Fort Worth and Denver (CB&Q) boxcar in the 8300 series.  My question is weee the trucks and under-rated the same color as the car or were they black?
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill Pardie

Richard Townsend

Reading between the lines of the Burlington Route Historical Society's Burlington Bulletin No. 7, on the Burlington's XM-32 boxcars (including the FW&D and C&S cars) and which describes one-stop painting, and which does not mention any change in colors while painting, I would hazard a guess that it was all the same color.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Sun, May 10, 2020 12:03 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Paint Question On FW&D Boxcars

In my isolation I am completing work on  Fort Worth and Denver (CB&Q) boxcar in the 8300 series.  My question is weee the trucks and under-rated the same color as the car or were they black?

Bill Pardie

Nelson Moyer

The Q painted all boxcars a mineral red color on all surfaces including trucks through 1958. I don’t model beyond that date, so I won’t comment on the Chinese Red era. I like Tru Color CB&Q Freight Car Red, but if you use it be sure to prime with Tamiya Fine Light Gray.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 2:04 PM

Bill Pardie

Rupert Gamlen

Historically speaking and being parsimonious -

It has been the custom for all time to paint the trucks black.  This necessitated the changing of pots and brushes when the painting of the body was finished and work commenced on the trucks.  The company [i.e. CB&Q] is commencing now to paint the trucks the same color as the body of the car.  This appears to be a small matter, but in the course of a year the time saved in changing, and the cost of extra pots, brushes, etc. dispensed with, amounts to a very considerable little sum.

Railway Review 1887

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 11 May 2020 11:41 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Paint Question On FW&D Boxcars

Reading between the lines of the Burlington Route Historical Society's Burlington Bulletin No. 7, on the Burlington's XM-32 boxcars (including the FW&D and C&S cars) and which describes one-stop painting, and which does not mention any change in colors while painting, I would hazard a guess that it was all the same color.

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Bill Pardie

Rob & Bev Manley

Bill, 
Same color Mineral Red body, trucks and underframe was Q practice. Most of the photos I've seen had the roof unpainted galvanize.  For modeling purposes I start with a light gray and Pan Pastel the rest of it. Until 1958 which was the year Chinese Red was introduced. Then trucks were Black. 

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Sunday, May 10, 2020, 06:57:31 PM CDT, Rupert Gamlen <gamlenz@...> wrote:

Historically speaking and being parsimonious -

It has been the custom for all time to paint the trucks black.  This necessitated the changing of pots and brushes when the painting of the body was finished and work commenced on the trucks.  The company [i.e. CB&Q] is commencing now to paint the trucks the same color as the body of the car.  This appears to be a small matter, but in the course of a year the time saved in changing, and the cost of extra pots, brushes, etc. dispensed with, amounts to a very considerable little sum.

Railway Review 1887

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 11 May 2020 11:41 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Paint Question On FW&D Boxcars

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Bill Pardie