Latest run of Intermountain (Wegmann) HO PFE Rebuilt Reefers

Andy Cich

I recently received a few of the latest cars from Intermountain. All of mine are assembled as shown in the photo. Did anybody receive cars that are correctly assembled? I wonder if the whole run was done this way. Or just one person on the assembly line had a problem.

I haven’t tried to fix it yet. I’m not sure how easy it will be to pry the valve off. Also, the brake cylinder is too far away from the center sill and doesn’t connect to the lever. And the rod that connects between the levers should be inside the center sill. It is in the spot where the cylinder should go.

Andy Cich

Gary Roe

Andy,

I am supposed to receive mine via UPS tomorrow.  Will let you know what I find out once I get them opened.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 1:56:59 PM CDT, Andy Cich <ajc5150@...> wrote:

I recently received a few of the latest cars from Intermountain. All of mine are assembled as shown in the photo. Did anybody receive cars that are correctly assembled? I wonder if the whole run was done this way. Or just one person on the assembly line had a problem.

I haven’t tried to fix it yet. I’m not sure how easy it will be to pry the valve off. Also, the brake cylinder is too far away from the center sill and doesn’t connect to the lever. And the rod that connects between the levers should be inside the center sill. It is in the spot where the cylinder should go.

Andy Cich

Tim O'Connor

Yikes!! It looks like they specified WIRE for the rods (a good thing) but didn't bother to tell people
how to arrange the bits. Or maybe the factory just decided to save assembly time...

Another reason not to buy RTR, if the kits are available.

On 5/11/2020 2:56 PM, Andy Cich wrote:

I recently received a few of the latest cars from Intermountain. All of mine are assembled as shown in the photo. Did anybody receive cars that are correctly assembled? I wonder if the whole run was done this way. Or just one person on the assembly line had a problem.

I haven’t tried to fix it yet. I’m not sure how easy it will be to pry the valve off. Also, the brake cylinder is too far away from the center sill and doesn’t connect to the lever. And the rod that connects between the levers should be inside the center sill. It is in the spot where the cylinder should go.

Andy Cich

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tony Thompson

Andy Cich wrote:

I haven’t tried to fix it yet. I’m not sure how easy it will be to pry the valve off. Also, the brake cylinder is too far away from the center sill and doesn’t connect to the lever. And the rod that connects between the levers should be inside the center sill. It is in the spot where the cylinder should go.

      The PFE car I just received is the same as Andy's photo. The (rather coarse) chain attached to the brake cylinder is just glued to the center sill, no lever attachment, and the brake rodding is completely mixed up. Obviously quality control not in effect -- they have done a lot of these before.
     At the same time, the rodding errors  won't be visible in operation. The visually disturbing parts are the valve and reservoir being set so far from the floor.

Tony Thompson

John Sykes III

UPS just dropped them off.  Ditto here on the twin logo ones.  Y'a know I wouldn't be upset if these were $12 Tyco cars, but at $42.95 each???????  I think we've been robbed.

-- John

John Sykes III

Just a thought, but is this their first batch of cars out of the new factory in China?

-- John

bill stanton

It also looks to me like the single herald versions of the r-40-19 and r-30-21 are using the incorrect later ("fatter") UP logo dating from about june 1946 whereas the rebuild dates are from march 1946 at least that's what i gather from reading Tony's PFE book...any commentary or correction most welcomed on this as i would otherwise have bought these cars...(interestingly the single herald version of the r-30-18 rebuilt 9-42 looks to have the correct UP logo with the narrower waist)...

From: "Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io" <schuyler.larrabee@...>
Date: 5/12/20 4:54 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

I am now glad I exhibited amazing sloth about ordering these in advance . . .

Schuyler

I own six R18,19 & 21 cars of their previous 'Wegmann' runs.
ALL of them had severe underframe and brake system problems, wrong heralds and or dates, etc.
So during all those years nothing -except the price- has changed so it seems...;-((
Dismantled the underframes and brake systems, mounted new improved parts.
Took the decals and paint off (they were kind of mud-ish orange) and repainted/redecaled.
Still have to refurbish 4 of them..., just like the prototypes.
cheers,
Fred Jansz

Dick Harley

Most Chinese assembled cars are pre-painted and glued with CA, so a little bit of torque will break the glue bonds.  Disassembling a model is not difficult.

For those wanting to know what the correct lettering looks like for any era, the PFE painting and lettering book that I wrote and illustrated is still available:
https://sphts.myshopify.com/collections/books/products/southern-pacific-freight-car-painting-and-lettering-guide
While it is titled Southern Pacific, about 40% of the book is PFE.

FWIW, I redrew all seven lettering schemes for these cars about two years ago and gave that artwork to InterMountain.  The previous artwork had the incorrect UP medallion for the -19 and -21 single medallion cars, among other errors.  So, whether any of my new artwork was used for this current run of cars, I cannot say, since I have not seen any of these latest cars up close.  If you think you are frustrated ...

Stay Safe & Healthy,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Bob Chaparro

I see Ken Patterson is gushing over the latest InterMountain offerings, including the less-than-perfect PFE reefers, on his "What's Neat This Week in Model Railroading" Show #115:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=X8YGQwo5jHI

Shows like these remind me why I stopped subscribing to certain car magazines.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

William Hirt

Intermountain is one of his show's sponsors. That might have something to do with it.

Bill Hirt

On 5/13/2020 7:37 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

I see Ken Patterson is gushing over the latest InterMountain offerings, including the less-than-perfect PFE reefers, on his "What's Neat This Week in Model Railroading" Show #115:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=X8YGQwo5jHI

Shows like these remind me why I stopped subscribing to certain car magazines.

Bob Chaparro

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Hi Bob,

     More to the point they illustrate why I stopped receiving ALL model railroad rags.

My best, Don Valentine

Bill Keene

Not being an expert on box cars — or anything else — are any of these 1937 cars being offered accurate reproductions?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 14, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,

     More to the point they illustrate why I stopped receiving ALL model railroad rags.

My best, Don Valentine

Benjamin Hom

Bill Keene asked:
"Not being an expert on box cars — or anything else — are any of these 1937 cars being offered accurate reproductions?"

In the spirit of Greg Martin, "Feed your head."  You can compare the models in question against the information here:

It's never so much about being an expert, but it's about knowing how and where to pull information.

Ben Hom

Bill Keene

Ahh YES. So true. Just my old dog memory failing me … again.

Thanks, Ben, I appreciate the help. Now just need to get those lazy little gray cells into action. :-)

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 14, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Bill Keene asked:
"Not being an expert on box cars — or anything else — are any of these 1937 cars being offered accurate reproductions?"

In the spirit of Greg Martin, "Feed your head."  You can compare the models in question against the information here:

It's never so much about being an expert, but it's about knowing how and where to pull information.

Ben Hom

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bill,

To feed my head, I like to check Google for model freight cars that interest me.  It takes some time to look through everything Google Images throws up at you, but there are often very helpful prototype photos there.  The other online freight car image databases generally have more modern equipment and car classifications, so they are a little harder to search.  The Fallen Flags site is probably the best for older (1950s) equipment.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org

Todd Sullivan