Topics

Tankcar Dome Platform Redux

Dennis Storzek

We hadsome discussion a while bach about which side the dome platform belongs on when the car has it on only one side. Looking for something else in the Safety Appliance section of the 1922 Car Builder's Cyc, I find this language:

"Dome Platform and Dome Handholds.—Minimum diameter, five-eighths (5/8) of an inch, wrought iron or steel.
Minimum clear length, fourteen (14) inches, preferably sixteen (16) inches.
Minimum clearance, two (2) inches, preferably two and one-half (2 1/2) inches.
Location.—On brake mast side of car leading to dome. When car is equipped with more than one dome, the step board shall be lengthened so that all dome covers will be accessible from same; or, ladder, dome platform and handholds provided leading to each dome."

Dennis Storzek

Todd Sullivan

Thank you, Dennis.  You're a pretty good sleuth!

Todd Sullivan