Topics

EARLY PLASTIC KITS

WILLIAM PARDIE

The recent discussion on the C&BT kits has prompted me to pull l this car out of the showcase.  I had not looked at it for years.  This is a McKean PS-1 kit.  My friend Andy Carlson deemed this kit as the worst.  At that time Ed Hawkins did several articles in Rail Model Journal on completing this kit.  I immediately went out and bought the kit.  (Where were you then Andy?)  At that time the RPM meets were held in conjunction with the NMRA meets.  I carefully packed my prize in an Overland Models  box to protect it on the journey. When I walked into the RPM room Richard Hendrickson met me at the door. HIs eyes went straight to the box and he said “I hope that’s not what I think it is”.  As it turned out I had to borrow some tools and adhesive before placing the mopdel on display.  That was the first and last time that I took a model to an event.

One of the real pleasuies of the hobby are the great people involved in it. Each of my models has a story behind it.  Thanks for bringing up the C&BT kits and resurrecting some great memories.

Bill Pardie

Benjamin Hom

Bill Pardie wrote:
"That was the first and last time that I took a model to an event."

Well, that's a true shame.

Ben Hom

Andy Carlson

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 2:09:42 PM PDT, WILLIAM PARDIE <pardiew001@...> wrote:

...........  This is a McKean PS-1 kit.  My friend Andy Carlson deemed this kit as the worst. .........

I don't remember telling Bill this; I remember telling him their Pullman door was the worst.

I have high regards for the McKean 40' double door box car. It was among the first kits with separate details and I feel the 6' post-war Youngstown doors remain among the better ones in HO today. It is a bit of work, but a straight side sill replacement and replacing the diagonal panel roof with an overhanging eaves roof and one has a nice model of a Great Northern 3500-3999 series of cars. The middle door post (between the L & R door) is an exact match for the GN. Today, a better pair of ends are the Branchline Blueprint Series of banana taper ends.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Clark Propst

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 02:09 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:
That was the first and last time that I took a model to an event.
Do you mean because of the damage is transit? Or, because of the negative comments?
CW Propst

WILLIAM PARDIE

Morning Clark And Others:

I did not mean to imply that there were negative comments.  Richard was actually complimentary when he saw the car.  I thought it humorous that he thought I might have brought a brass car.

It was the damage in transit that deterred me.  Actually I'm always amazed that I arrive undamaged.

Bill Pardie