From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Adams
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:51 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Accurail DL&W 40 Foot DD Box Car

Accurail has announced this. As I am a sucker for double door 40 foot box cars and know little about what is accurate for eastern railroads, I am asking if this is too much a foobie or incorrect lettering even for background through load/empty traffic on my SP Cal-P (Oakland to Sacramento) mainline in the early 1950's. Obviously the reweigh date would have to be changed even if the build date is accurate. By 1950 I would assume it would need the AUTOMOBILE service branding removed as it would be downgraded to general merchandise carriage. Is the sill close to accurate, it looks too modern? Is this really a DL&W car? Is the number an build date accurate? I am unfamiliar with this casting by Accurail so if anyone knows the roof and other history of this DD boxcar, maybe you could give me a general overview.

I would also do a little work to bring the car up to reasonable standards

--
Ken Adams
In splendid Shelter In Place solitude, about half way up Walnut Creek

Todd Sullivan

Ken -

My January 1952 ORER shows DL&W series 11300-11599 as 40'-7" IL double door boxcars with 12'-6" wide door openings, AAR mech designation XMR (auto racks installed).  This is the same number series that Yarmouth Models' new kit for a DL&W rebuilt 40' DD auto boxcar portrays.

I believe that the Accurail kit depicts a GN series of DD cars that were built new or rebuilds in the mid-1950s and used extensively in lumber and plywood loading.  Someone with a a better memory and/or who knows GN equipment better is welcome to comment and correct me.

Todd Sullivan

Benjamin Hom

Ken Adams wrote:
"Accurail has announced this. As I am a sucker for double door 40 foot box cars and know little about what is accurate for eastern railroads, I am asking if this is too much a foobie or incorrect lettering even for background through load/empty traffic on my SP Cal-P (Oakland to Sacramento) mainline in the early 1950's. Obviously the reweigh date would have to be changed even if the build date is accurate. By 1950 I would assume it would need the AUTOMOBILE service branding removed as it would be downgraded to general merchandise carriage. Is the sill close to accurate, it looks too modern? Is this really a DL&W car? Is the number an build date accurate? I am unfamiliar with this casting by Accurail so if anyone knows the roof and other history of this DD boxcar, maybe you could give me a general overview."

So even if you have no knowledge of this prototype, a couple things should jump out at you.  The 1936 built and reweigh dates are at odds with the base model, which is a postwar automobile boxcar with diagonal panel roof and late improved Dreadnaught ends.  The Accurail website has photos of their models - just click around until you find the desired view:

The prototypes are automobile boxcars rebuilt from USRA DS boxcars.  Yarmouth Model Works offers resin models of these cars.

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks, Todd, for correcting me, though I plead that the “11300” in my ORER looks more like 11500.  The number’s not clear.  Todd is correct about the listing being the Yarmouth car, of which I have two, next up on the to-be-built list.

Schuyler

My January 1952 ORER shows DL&W series 11300-11599 as 40'-7" IL double door boxcars with 12'-6" wide door openings, AAR mech designation XMR (auto racks installed).  This is the same number series that Yarmouth Models' new kit for a DL&W rebuilt 40' DD auto boxcar portrays.

I believe that the Accurail kit depicts a GN series of DD cars that were built new or rebuilds in the mid-1950s and used extensively in lumber and plywood loading.  Someone with a a better memory and/or who knows GN equipment better is welcome to comment and correct me.

Todd Sullivan

Todd Sullivan

Schuyler,

I also found it hard to read that line in my ORER.  Guess I need new glasses, LOL!  I will do that as soon as we get to the point with the corona virus where I feel comfortable being close to an optician.  Hope it's in the next couple of years!

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

Ken Adams wrote (in part):

By 1950 I would assume it would need the AUTOMOBILE service branding removed as it would be downgraded to general merchandise carriage.

     A common misunderstanding. The word "automobile" on a car did NOT mean it was necessarily in that service. Until the early 1950s, the AAR defined an "automobile car" as a box car with double doors and possibly end doors. There is nothing in the definition about what the car might carry.
      You can see this in the fleets of many railroads. Certainly SP among them; usually about half of each order of 50-ft. DD box cars was intended for lumber service, but every single car was lettered "automobile." And when SP removed auto racks from such cars, they did not remove the "automobile" lettering, though they would paint out the white door stripes.

Tony Thompson

John Barry

The line must be clearer in my Oct 44 edition.  As Ben stated, the base kit is off, but as a stand in, it has a basis in reality in that it is at least the same type and configuration of car, albeit with more modern roof and ends.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 12:52:55 PM EDT, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Schuyler,

I also found it hard to read that line in my ORER.  Guess I need new glasses, LOL!  I will do that as soon as we get to the point with the corona virus where I feel comfortable being close to an optician.  Hope it's in the next couple of years!

Todd Sullivan

Staffan Ehnbom

The Accurail 40' double door box car started out as a McKean effort to model the GN 3000-3499 series built 1955 having a recessed diagonal panel roof, a 7 and an 8 foot door and a fish belly side sill. Bill McKean blushingly told me that an adviser told him double 6 foot doors were more common and so Bill changed prototype to the GN 3500-3999 series that had the double 6 foot doors but missed the overhanging roof and kept the fish belly side sill. Bill made a habit of trying to hide behind his desk at the few trade shows I had the chance to attend. Attached is a model photo of a McKean car with a new roof and with side sills straightened.

Staffan Ehnbom