TNM hopper car suitable model

Nathan Obermeyer

In 1953 the Texas New Mexico Railroad received 200 70-ton hopper cars (road numbers T-NM 100-299) (later T-NM 500000-500183) built by the Texas and Pacific Railroad at Marshall, Tx. I'd like to see if there is a suitable HO scale model that one of these cars can be built. Is this car a AAR design like the Atlas Trainman AAR 70-ton hopper? Did any other model manufacturer produce a similar hopper car? I've attached the Mopac diagram for the car and an image of the car. Thanks,

Nate

Todd Sullivan

Hi Nathan,

Roundhouse made a similar model but it had a variety of problems such as the enter outlet bay pointed in the wrong direction relative to the B end and minimal detailing.  The Atlas model is much better, and probably close to the T-NM prototype.  I have neither model, so I can't measure and compare them to the diagram.  Perhaps someone else can do that.

Todd Sullivan

Sam Reynolds

Nate,

Attached is a photo I quickly took of an Atlas 70-ton 9 panel 3-bay hopper that I stripped for another project. I took some measurements of the car so you can compare them to the diagram sheet. The measurements are as follows: 43'6" over end top chord; 41'3" inside length; 43'3" over strikers; 42'9" over end sills; 34' truck centers; 10'6" over side top chord. You will see from the attached photo that all of the side ribs are riveted unlike those shown in your prototype photo. I don't have one of the MDC/Roundhouse cars, but if I remember correctly they were shorter than the Atlas hopper and had riveted side ribs like the Atlas car. If interested, I have 10 of these hoppers that I'm selling since I no longer need them for kitbashing into L&N Pullman Standard PS-3 coal hoppers.

Sam Reynolds

Tim O'Connor

I think that's an Enterprise door mechanism - like the one in the Tichy USRA kit.

On 5/20/2020 4:48 PM, Nathan Obermeyer via groups.io wrote:

In 1953 the Texas New Mexico Railroad received 200 70-ton hopper cars (road numbers T-NM 100-299) (later T-NM 500000-500183) built by the Texas and Pacific Railroad at Marshall, Tx. I'd like to see if there is a suitable HO scale model that one of these cars can be built. Is this car a AAR design like the Atlas Trainman AAR 70-ton hopper? Did any other model manufacturer produce a similar hopper car? I've attached the Mopac diagram for the car and an image of the car. Thanks,

Nate

Sterling, Massachusetts