Canadian National 7-panel Howe Truss Boxcars Help

Bill Welch

Over the years three models have been done of the CN's 7-panel Howe Truss Boxcars—F&C ()originally Steam Shack I think), Sylvan, and Kaslo Shops. I am interested in trying to understand built dates and breakdown of cars with wood doors and steel doors. Have there been any articles in the hobby press or perhaps the CNHS about these cars. Perhaps someone may be able to scan article if they have it. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Dave Parker

Bill, I believe these cars are the subject of Ted's EFC #8.

Best regards.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

James Brewer

Bill,

I am currently working on two of these cars which Marc Simpson recently had re-run by Sylvan.  The prototype notes included with the instructions suggest the boxcars with wood doors were built in 1929, and those with steel doors in 1930-31.  It also mentions doors were sometimes swapped from steel to wood and vice versa during shoppings and repairs.

In Ted Culotta''s Steam Era Freight Cars Seminar Manual he has a photo of CN 503559, built in 1929 and it does have wood doors.  There is also a photo of CN 506951, built in 1930, with steel doors.  Ted references an article in Railmodel Journal, June 1994, by Stafford Swain.  You can view, but not print it, here:

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1994_6/

I also referred to Ian Cranstone's web site for information on these cars:  http://www.nakina.net/cn/cn5.html

I hope this helps!

Jim Brewer

ed_mines

There was an article on these cars along with drawings in Mainline Modeler.

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

"In Ted Culotta''s Steam Era Freight Cars Seminar Manual he has a photo of CN 503559, built in 1929 and it does have wood doors.  There is also a photo of CN 506951, built in 1930, with steel doors.  Ted references an article in Railmodel Journal, June 1994, by Stafford Swain.  You can view, but not print it,

To which I would add that if it would help, Bill, I can photocopy Stafford's articles on these and similar cars including a few
pages on the cars right from the builder's matieral. All I'd need is a snail mail address. It's here but can't ut my hand right on it.

My best, Don Valentine.

Marc Simpson

Bill,

Ted Culotta has an article in the November 2003 Railroad Model Craftsman about these cars.  As others have said CN had both steel and wood doors that got swapped around over the years, so you could justify any combination.

--
Marc Simpson