Rutland Stock Car in Neutral Yellow Primer

Bill Welch

Using a photo of Rutland stock car #1960 to guide me I have detailed and damaged this F&C kit. So that I could damage the upper boards I substituted styrene strip of the same size—hopefully avoiding Narrow Gauge Damage Syndrome. Along the lower sill I have used Brass NBW's to model the loosened hardware intended to tighten the ends of the bolsters against the sill as seen in my photo. Also along the bottom are devices I think are intended to permit the vertical braces tight. For these I used Plastruct .025 Rod and harvested Detail Associates NBW's on the each end of the rod. These are inserted into holes along the bottom of the sill. The prototype photo shows that the bolts used to connect the braces to the side sheathing are countersunk, I assume to make it easier to slide the door open. Again I used Plastruct rod topped with harvested Athearn rivets. Although a fair amount of fiddly work, I really like the result. Let me know if you have questions.

Model On!
Bill Welch

Dave Parker

Bill:

Looks great as always.  My only question is do you plan to do anything about the uniformly scribed roofing (basically V-groove siding), that really doesn't look like the prototype roof at all?  See attached pic of R 1906 off to the left.  Other than rebuilding it board-by-board, have you given any thought as to how it might be improved?

With best regards.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Bill Welch

Dave obviously the model is already built and I am not going to disassemble it and start over. It is a compromise I am willing to live with on this model. In the past I have scratch built board x board roofs—see my Speedwitch NYC stock car roof—and have started on a PFE 40-4 wood roof to fit Tichy kit that will be BxB.

Bill Welch