What activity is going on here?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I stumbled upon an interesting view which captures a steam era freight car of some sort, a coal conveyor, and two people...

In my mind, there are way more questions than there are answers...

(1) What is the freight car? It appears to have a small window. Work train car? Caboose? Other?

(2) Is the freight car in the process of being unloaded?

(3) There is nothing at the other end of the coal conveyor to receive whatever is being conveyed – what is the story there?

The guy nearest the freight car is holding a shovel, looks like he is going to drop the shovel load onto the conveyor, the other guy in the snappy clothes is not making any meaningful contribution other than supervising (maybe)

Perhaps this entire scene is simply posed for the benefit of the camera, rather than being a real work scene?

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

That looks like a rider car as there are grabs at the door and steps below.

Whatever else is going on here is questionable.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On May 23, 2020, at 2:26 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 12:40 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
In my mind, there are way more questions than there are answers...

(1) What is the freight car? It appears to have a small window. Work train car? Caboose? Other?
Most likely a boxcar converted to work service.

(2) Is the freight car in the process of being unloaded?
That's my guess.

(3) There is nothing at the other end of the coal conveyor to receive whatever is being conveyed – what is the story there?
The truck or wagon just pulled away, and the next to be loaded is not yet in position. The guy with the shovel is cleaning up what lumps missed the conveyor, so his boss (in the background) knows he's working. Those lumps will be the first up when they start the conveyor again. Why a mechanized conveyor? it's not evident, but when unloading coal from boxcars, after the coal near the door has been cleared, a wheelbarrow is needed inside the car. If no conveyor, the coal must be dumped on the floor again, then shoveled up over the sides of the wagon/truck. Since they have a conveyor, it does the heavy lifting and the guys are mainly shoveling downward, making fullest use of gravity.

Dennis Storzek

A&Y Dave in MD

Claus,

The photo is crystal clear in a time before autofocus and big flood lamps, so it is clearly a "frozen moment" likely posed photo, but maybe only temporarily stopped.  It does look like the dray or truck on the receiving end is moved off.  There are lumps of what look like coal up and down the conveyor, so maybe waiting for the next one to line up?  The car's window and grab suggest a MoW car or side door caboose.  Who knows for sure, but maybe it's coal for caboose stoves or for depot heating?  Maybe the guy in the suit is a station agent?  All speculation, but they did dress more formally in that day.

Note the conveyor is on steel/iron beam skids and as positioned the car step looks like it just clears the conveyor.   So that could be semi-permanent setup for regular coal dump of small amounts or it could be temporary and staged.

Why take the photo, might be the real question. Is this for describing proper loading technique?  Is it to prepare a legal case for a workplace injury claim?  How many photos were taken just for fun when the materials were relatively expensive and the setup was a challenge?

It is an interesting image.  Thanks for sharing.

Dave Bott

https://www.grpmcollections.org/Detail/objects/172757

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC
--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Ray Breyer

Well, it's a non-revenue car, so I'll bet what we're seeing here is a company stores car stopped at a station, unloading company coal to the local depot (those are giant chunks of coal; why pay to have coal broken & washed for employes when they can do it themselves in their ample free time?)

The guy in the suit may be the local agent. More likely, he's just a local coming to watch all the excitement.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Saturday, May 23, 2020, 02:40:58 PM CDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

[...]

Charlie Vlk

All-
Since there isn’t anything for the conveyor to load, my guess is they are using it to get a small load to replenish the waycar/MOW car coal box.
Charlie Vlk

On May 23, 2020, at 2:40 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

[...]

Clark Propst

I think the guy in the stripped jacket is shoveling a few lumps off the conveyor into the MoW car...Neat photo of an old coal conveyor anyway.
CW Propst