Topics

[Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] ACC problems

Schuyler Larrabee

The air in your refrigerator is very dry.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:56 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] ACC problems

I've never understood what the refrigeration is supposed to do.

CA loves water vapor - any H2O molecules will start 'spoiling' it. (CA was originally invented for
fast closure of soldiers' wounds in combat.) So storing it in a Tupperware with DESSICANT may help!

I recently transferred a fresh Zap bottle to a Tamiya bottle. Tamiya plastic caps are utterly airtight in my
experience. (I store all kinds of stuff in them from contact cement to canopy glue to MEK and Acetone.)
I don't know how well the Zap will keep in the Tamiya bottle, but I will find out.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya-paint-mixing-jar-23ml-bottle-tam81041/p125149

Tim O'Connor

On 5/27/2020 6:06 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Don;

My experience with ACC is that it does go bad.  I never had luck with the big bottles, even refrigerated.  They went bad.

I buy packs of the little tubes from big box stores, because they cycle thru quickly, and are fresh.  If one goes bad, I open a new one.

Zero frustration.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 4:54 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] ACC problems

Does the ACC still work on other stuff? Does a new bottle work?  

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

If you buy the small squeeze tubes that hold only a fractional ounce, the ones typically sold in multi-packs, none of this is an issue. You just toss it out whenever it is less than perfect, and open a new one. When you do this you always are assured to be using a recently opened fresh tube. No need to worry about any of the above issues at all

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:22 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] ACC problems

I've always assumed keeping it in the fridge was an attempt to keep it in a lower absolute humidity environment, though it may also be about lowering reaction rate. Dessicant should help too. 

steve_wintner

I've always assumed keeping it in the fridge was an attempt to keep it in a lower absolute humidity environment, though it may also be about lowering reaction rate. Dessicant should help too. 

Nolan Hinshaw

On May 27, 2020, at 19:37, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

On 5/27/2020 7:18 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
WW2 as part of a project to develop clear plastic gunsights.
Google is my friend. It was Eastman910 (or I guess E910)

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/08/super-glue-was-invented-by-accident-twice/
See the Wikipedia page:<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate>

Nolan Hinshaw

On May 27, 2020, at 19:26, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

Never hear that one (doesn't mean it's not true) but I started using it in early 1960. It was made by Eastman Kodak and I think called 510 (or E510). At that time it was understood it was designed for gluing spliced film together.
Aron Alpha dates back to 1963; I ran out of E510 and a friend suggested I try the other. The web site, <https://aronalpha.net/>, bills it as "high performance".

Jon Miller

Google is my friend.  It was Eastman910 (or I guess E910)

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/08/super-glue-was-invented-by-accident-twice/

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Eastman 910

Dan Smith

Jon Miller

Never hear that one (doesn't mean it's not true) but I started using it in early 1960.  It was made by Eastman Kodak and I think called 510 (or E510).  At that time it was understood it was designed for gluing spliced film together.

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tim,

Super glue, CA, was invented, accidentally, in WW2 as part of a project to develop clear plastic gunsights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Coover

Dan Smith

Tim O'Connor

I've never understood what the refrigeration is supposed to do.

CA loves water vapor - any H2O molecules will start 'spoiling' it. (CA was originally invented for
fast closure of soldiers' wounds in combat.) So storing it in a Tupperware with DESSICANT may help!

I recently transferred a fresh Zap bottle to a Tamiya bottle. Tamiya plastic caps are utterly airtight in my
experience. (I store all kinds of stuff in them from contact cement to canopy glue to MEK and Acetone.)
I don't know how well the Zap will keep in the Tamiya bottle, but I will find out.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya-paint-mixing-jar-23ml-bottle-tam81041/p125149

Tim O'Connor

On 5/27/2020 6:06 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Don;

My experience with ACC is that it does go bad.  I never had luck with the big bottles, even refrigerated.  They went bad.

I buy packs of the little tubes from big box stores, because they cycle thru quickly, and are fresh.  If one goes bad, I open a new one.

Zero frustration.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Don;

Zero frustration.

Elden Gatwood

Thanks!

Brian Ehni 

(Sent from my iPhone)

On May 27, 2020, at 3:48 PM, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

I have been assembling resin car kits for some 35 years now beginning with Dennis Storzek's Rutland 

box cars back when the material was a lot tougher than resin and Al Westerfield's kits when he was using 

really brittle resin, always using ACC but never having experienced the problem I've had for the last week.

I've been trying to assemble one of Steve Funaro's kits that seems no different than the many of his I've

also assembled before BUT the damned ACC is not cementing parts together. I beleive the bottle is now 

three years old and is kept in the refrigerator when not being used regularly. It doesn't seem to matter 

whether I try to use it right out of the refrigerator or after it has sat out at room temperature for a day it 

simply does not work. Does ths stuff have a shelf life that I've never been aware of or has anyone else

experienced the same problem? Guess I'll go back to styrene for awhile rather than waste more time 

only to get more frustrated. 

Don Valentine