Cable Reel Loads

Bruce Smith

Folks,

I have some questions about Cable Reels as loads for steam era freight cars.

I have a Sunshine PRR G27 gondola kit that was packaged with a kit for 18 steel cable reels. I model 1944. When did steel cable reels come into use?

This kit has a nice set of decals for cable reel labels, but when I search GOOGLE, all the steel reels seem to have very little labeling. Indeed, it looks like it might be tough to apply the decals to these reels anyway, since they have ribs on the outside and the only photo photo I have seen with a label (Okonite), has it on a placard attached to the ribs. Were steel cable reels commonly labeled in the steam era? Photos?

If the decals don't work for the steel reels, I'll repurpose them for the wood reels I have. The decal set included is pretty comprehensive and amazing. Are there other decal sets to label cable reels?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Mont Switzer

Bruce,

This isn’t the answer you are looking for but it might start you in the correct direction.  Steel cable reels were alive and well in the 1970’s when I hauled them.  What I saw ranged from 6,000 to 15,000 lbs. with wire on them.

It seems like anything less than 5,000 lbs. was prime for wooden reels.

Steel reels were always returned empty.  The wooden ones not so much, but some really good ones were returned.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

[...]

Schuyler Larrabee

Clarity, please . . .

Are we talking about reels of steel CABLE or reels of WIRE?

Schuyler

[...]

Schuyler,

I was talking about REELS capable of handling either steel cable or wire like used in communications.  Both are quite heavy.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

[...]

Likewise and to make it more complicated, cable can be called "wire rope" 😉

What I am interested in are the reels, made of steel, that carried cable or wire.

Regards,
Bruce

[...]

Well, the point of my inquiry was about the markings (decals) that Bruce has.  Do they cover both steel cable (or as Bruce pointed out, wire rope) AND electrical cables?  IOW, what would he be winding on the reels?

[...]

Guy Wilber

 Bruce Smith wrote:

"I have some questions about Cable Reels as loads for steam era freight cars.

I have a Sunshine PRR G27 gondola kit that was packaged with a kit for 18 steel cable reels. I model 1944. When did steel cable reels come into use?"

Previous to 1942 there was no specific diagram covering the loading of wire rope or cable (on reels).  In 1941, "at the request of shippers", the AAR's Loading Committee added Figure 75-B  to the Rules Governing The Loading of Commodities On Open Top Cars, effective March 1, 1942.  It would be appropriate for 1944 and is attached (as a pdf).

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Bruce Smith

Guy,

Thanks, but I think I still need to clarify. I'm talking about cable reels, made of steel. I have LOTS of support for cable reels made of wood for the WWII era, but I'm curious whether cable reels, made of steel, were in use at that time. I am suspicious that they were not.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

"I have some questions about Cable Reels as loads for steam era freight cars.

I have a Sunshine PRR G27 gondola kit that was packaged with a kit for 18 steel cable reels. I model 1944. When did steel cable reels come into use?"

Previous to 1942 there was no specific diagram covering the loading of wire rope or cable (on reels).  In 1941, "at the request of shippers", the AAR's Loading Committee added Figure 75-B  to the Rules Governing The Loading of Commodities On Open Top Cars, effective March 1, 1942.  It would be appropriate for 1944 and is attached (as a pdf).

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

spsalso

Bruce Smith

Schuyler,

The decals are freaking awesome!  (One reason to look for more) Most of them are in a semi-circular arc. They are black, with some duplicates in white. Symbols are also included for some.

General Cable (white as well) + symbol
Okonite Passaic N.J.+ symbol
Kaiser Wire K/W + symbol
Simplex Wire & Cable Co.  Cambridge Mass (white as well)
Crescent Trenton, NJ
Anaconda Wire + symbol
Bronco
Kerite (white as well)
Roebling
Copperweld
Diamond Wire and Cable Co. Sycamore, ILL
Rome Cable Rome G.A. (white as well)
General Electric + symbol
Crapo
Indiana Steel and Wire Co.

Now, the reels made of steel would just be loads going somewhere so they can have cable, wire, whatever.... But I do plan to have catenary and of course that requires maintenance, and in progress on my bench right now is a wire train, wire reel car, which will need wire reels with wire. These though were wooden, and I have several already at hand, and more on the way from Israel. Representing the wire is challenging, but will happen with thin copper (likely 0.005") wrapped over a filler. Unused reels were often wrapped in heavy tan paper so I plan to use newsprint to replicate that. Plus, of course, shredding some and leaving it in the wire reel car.

Regards,
Bruce

Well, the point of my inquiry was about the markings (decals) that Bruce has.  Do they cover both steel cable (or as Bruce pointed out, wire rope) AND electrical cables?  IOW, what would he be winding on the reels?

Bruce Smith

Ed,

PERFECT!  Thank you!  Cable reels, made of steel, were clearly in use as of June 1, 1944 (the date of the newspaper story!)

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: "spsalso via groups.io" <Edwardsutorik@...>
Date: 5/29/20 4:21 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 01:23 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
But I do plan to have catenary and of course that requires maintenance, and in progress on my bench right now is a wire train, wire reel car, which will need wire reels with wire.
Copperweld is definitely the product to use. Copper coated seven and nine strand steel cable, it was the material of choice for all parts of overhead except the contact wire. Back in the seventies I worked for a couple weeks cutting down the Chicago trolleybus overhead system after abandonment, and everything was Copperweld except the contact wire, which was solid phosphor bronze, IIRC.

Dennis Storzek

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Cable Load

Photo from the Los Angeles Public Library website and in the collection of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power:

https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/dwp/ws/1005232.jpg

Description: "First shipment of hollow copper conductor from new plant built in Los Angeles by General Cable Corp. was made May 1934. The ten reels shown loaded on flat car comprise a load of 50 tons. Each reel is wond with a mile of cable, 1620 miles being required for the completed transmission line."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Hi Bruce,

    I'm a little late getting into this but Hendrix wire in Milford, NH was using wood reels right through
the 1970's. One could often see truck loads of wood reels made by Carris Reel of Rutland, VT by
the tractor-trailer load in many places not too distant from Rutland. If there is anyone on this list in
the Portsmouth, NH area perhaps they can tell us what Simplex Wire & Cable in nearby Newington
is using for reels. In the mid-1960's I worked there during my years at UNH and there were both
wood and steel reels around at that time IIRC.

My best, Don Valentine