Photo: UP "See Though" Boxcar 195220

Bob Chaparro

Here is the Southern Pacific car, courtesy of Paul Koehler.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Enzo Fortuna

hO bOB
This is the "IMPACT" car :
Originally built in the mid-1940s for Union Pacific, this 40’ box car was later converted in 1952 into an impact instruction car at the Omaha shops. Serving to illustrate the importance of safe car handling, this car had a transparent sidewall to show cargo movement, along with force and speed gauges displayed on the side

Southern Pacific® coverted this 50’ box car with plexi-glass on one side and standard solid steel on the other. It became known as the ‘Impact’ car used for freight protection instruction - switchmen and trainmen oberved the effect of coupling whne speeds exceed the safe limit of 4 miles per hour or more. To demonstrate the impact, loose skids, cartons, or barrels would be placed inside the car and a ‘handling thermometer’ measures the damage, an impact speed indicator (speedometer) measures the coupling speed.

MicroTrains have done" an N scalemodel... I miss !
https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php?_route_=union-pacific-impact-car-rd-195220-rel-8-18-02000157
Cheers and stay safe
Enzo Fortuna
Modeling Espee in Italy

Steve,

The Wathers car was actually a copy of John Allen's design from the early 1960s. IIRC, he had two built to fit an Athearn 40' boxcar shell, and could change the body to keep his operators on their toes. If the ball rolled into a spring metal tongue at either end of the car, a light would flash. If the impact was extreme, the ball dropped into a catch point at the end of the track and the light stayed on.

Another funzie that was commercially available in the 1970s was an underframe with a flywheel connected to one of the truck axles by a rubber band. This also was meant to fit under an Athearn or Roundhouse boxcar body. Supposedly you could kick the car loose and it would coast into a siding. I had two and they not only didn't live up to their hype, but also the truck with the rubber band had a restricted radius, making the car was prone to derailments.

Let it be known that I got rid of these turkeys many, many years ago.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 6:10 PM Steven D Johnson <tenncentralrwy@...> wrote:

Bob,

This looks to me to be an impact demonstration car.  L&N’s South Louisville Shop built one out of an old single-sheathed 40 ft boxcar in late 1955.  This car toured the L&N system to promote loss and damage prevention through safe coupling speeds.  On one side of the car, a large speedometer with a plexiglass dial and indicator registered coupling speeds up to 15 mph.  (The speedometer has its metal covering on in the attached photo, which is dated September 1960).  On the same side at floor level, a scale, marked in feet and inches, extended the length of the car, and served to show much of the “load” had shifted.  The “load” consisted of an old lathe and air pump, weighing 9,600 lbs, mounted on wooden skids.  The car also featured electric lights and was equipped with a gasoline-powered motor/generator.  This was quite an attractive car, painted in L&N’s passenger car blue, silver and yellow/gold lettering and striping, and the “steam era” L&N herald.

Many may remember the old Walther’s “Tongue-In-Cheek” HO model of an impact demo car.  As I recall, it had a steel ball bearing riding on a piece of N-scale (?) track inside the car, with a warning light that was activated by rough coupling.

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN