What is This Tank Body?

Tom Lawler

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for the poor photo. What are opinions on this tank body? It appears to be a radial course body and quite large capacity. More importantly if you wanted to model the body what might be used for the project?

Thank you for any assistance.

Regards,

Tom

Tom

Todd Sullivan

Hi Tom,

I think this tank car body is from an insulated pressure tank car.  The 'dome' is pretty small for a tank of this size, and pressure cars (Athearn 'chemical' tank car and offerings by Atlas and Kadee as 11,000 gallon cars) have small domes.  The stepped appearance of the exterior of the tank makes it look like a radial course shell, but insulated pressure cars had the same appearance due to the jacketing that was over the insulation. The third reason I think it is an ICC 105 (insulated pressure car) is that the diameter is larger than most 10,000 gallon uninsulated cars, and certainly larger than smaller sizes of uninsulated cars.

Todd Sullivan.

lrkdbn

I think it might be an old SP O-50-4 fuel oil car from about 1905,those were large (12,000 gal) and both the small dome and the "fore and aft" elbow safety valves would fit. I also think it is a radial course tank
rather than insulated.-can't see any lip around the end.
As for modeling,I think I'd look at Tony Thompson's SP freight cars book vol.5,p.247 for starters.
I think these cars were written up in the trade literature when they were built also.
Larry King

Fred Jansz

Here's a more detailed pic of the car/tank in question
Fred Jansz

Tim O'Connor

It's an early tank car body - reminds me of very early "common standard" tank cars and also some Santa Fe
tank cars. I've attached Tom Madden's ATSF Tk-G-5 resin tank model for comparison.

On 5/31/2020 5:04 AM, Fred Jansz wrote:
Here's a more detailed pic of the car/tank in question
Fred Jansz
_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek

Fred,

Looks remarkably like the fuel tank at the Quincy enginehouse.

Hope you are well.

Jim vG