SLRX 4216

Richard Wilkens

Here is another refrigerator car, SLRX 4216 at Terminal Island in Los Angeles in April 1958. What type of trucks are these?

Richard Wilkens

brianleppert@att.net

Those are National Type B.  Originally offered by Proto2000 in HO.  Now sold by Walthers and mislabeled as a National B-1.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

Todd Sullivan

The trucks are National B-1.

Todd Sullivan

brianleppert@att.net

Attached is a National Malleable and Steel Castings Co. ad from the Aug. 30, 1941 Railway Age, showing both their B and B-1 trucks.  A noticeable difference between the two are the bolster ends.  Also the springs on the earlier  B truck were larger diameter than usual and as the capacity increased so did their diameters, but the wheelbase stayed the same.

P2K/Walthers offers the B truck, while Athearn and Kadee sell the B-1 truck.

This afternoon I tried downloading this scan into both Files and Photos, but neither would accept new additions.  If interest in seeing it, just contact me off-list at brianleppert at att dot net.

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 5/31/2020 5:23 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Athearn and Kadee sell the B-1 truck.

    I looked up the Athearn B-1.  They want $23 for 2 pair, this seems really high!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Nelson Moyer

Walthers and Kadee also make them. I’ve used Walthers.

Nelson Moyer