Topics

GATX 26452

Richard Wilkens

One last view, this is GATX 26452 leased to Anheuser Busch for corn syrup. Car is at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles in September 1958.

Richard Wilkens

Tony Thompson

One last view, this is GATX 26452 leased to Anheuser Busch for corn syrup. Car is at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles in September 1958.

    Ah yes, corn syrup, a familiar ingredient in A-B brewing products . . .

Tony Thompson

mopacfirst

This one's really interesting.  The side ladder appears to have collapsed.  But what's even more interesting is the, for lack of a better word, 'interim' dome platform, not a full level platform with railings but more than just side platforms.

As for the shipper, the chemistry is a little out of my reach -- is corn syrup a product or an an ingredient?

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

The car is damaged.

It's a General American Type 30. Nominally 8,000 gallons - I think.

Anhauser Busch manufactured corn syrup (and perhaps cane sugar syrup too) and corn starch as well as beer.

On 5/31/2020 11:28 PM, mopacfirst wrote:
This one's really interesting.  The side ladder appears to have collapsed.  But what's even more interesting is the, for lack of a better word, 'interim' dome platform, not a full level platform with railings but more than just side platforms.

As for the shipper, the chemistry is a little out of my reach -- is corn syrup a product or an an ingredient?

Ron Merrick

Sterling, Massachusetts

David

This one's really interesting.  The side ladder appears to have collapsed.  But what's even more interesting is the, for lack of a better word, 'interim' dome platform, not a full level platform with railings but more than just side platforms.
That was something GATC liked to do if someone specified platforms on both sides of the tank. Those 12k tanks they built for Gulf had this arrangement.

David Thompson

Tony Thompson

That was something GATC liked to do if someone specified platforms on both sides of the tank. Those 12k tanks they built for Gulf had this arrangement.
I'm pretty sure the buyer specified what they wanted for all such features, rather than GATC doing "what they liked to do."

Tony Thompson
tony@...

David Soderblom

Is the smaller size because corn syrup is dense?

Sent from my tricorder

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD