C&O Bunk Cars and Jordan Spreader

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

Today, I am finishing up presenting photos of C&O MW house cars. This isn't all that I have, but what's left are essentially duplicates of what you've already seen. I have a few C&O open cars, Burro cranes, and tenders coming up, but I'm going to keep them spaced them out a bit. I also have a very few really cool Western Maryland cars that turned up here in Charlottesville, plus some from West Virginia.

I also have a few interesting Southern MW cars coming your way. Since most of what I saw were PS-1s, I will limit what I show to open cars and a couple of really old boxcars.

In today's lot, bunk car 911106 is another of the ex-Hocking Valley auto cars. I think this one has been more recently resided and has a much different window arrangement than the previous tool cars. Also note that it appears the siding has been replaced along the bottom, possibly from rust between the siding and the side frame. I'm not certain where I found this particular car, possibly at Scottsville on the James River line.

940256 is unlike any other C&O MW car I encountered. It appears to be converted from a 50' auto car. Note the car-end man door, and the Allied Full Cushion trucks, which are not original if I'm right about the car's origin. This car was at Clifton Forge.

Jordan spreader 914057 was found in Charlottesville. I was fortunate to be able to get two views of this machine.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Tony Thompson

    Thanks for these, Garth. The bunk cars are really interesting, and your shots are very clear and definitive. Did you by any chance see the opposite sides? were they the same?

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tony,

In a word "no". That would have required going onto railroad property. Even back in the 1980s, the Chessie System and the Southern was really tight about trespassing, and they were prosecuting for it, especially around Charlottesville where UVA students had dozens of shortcuts across Chessie and Southern tracks. Around that time they got a really strict railroad trespass law passed by the General Assembly. I stayed on public property or asked permission. (Just as the Charlottesville yard was being downsized, I got permission to walk the now largely empty tracks to shoot every crane, rack and structure that was still standing. I suspect now that the person who gave me permission could have been fired.)

Even had I tried, the lack of a fill flash would have made for some pretty poor photos on the shadow side.

Yours Aye,

Garth  🦆

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 7:04 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
    Thanks for these, Garth. The bunk cars are really interesting, and your shots are very clear and definitive. Did you by any chance see the opposite sides? were they the same?

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Here are some 'random' C&O MofW shots my Dad took. Scanned many years ago from 3x5 prints...

On 6/2/2020 6:44 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tim,

An interesting selection of cars. Did you notice that in the photo the troop sleepers that the entrance steps are arranged between the cars, rather than via the central door? Love that Vanderbilt tender.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 12:08 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Tim O'Connor

Yes, with screen doors in the ends of the sleepers. :-)