a mystery use of at least one (possibly more) PFE reefer

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Once again, a mystery use of at least one (possibly more) PFE reefer along with SP&S boxcars at a flour mill. I can’t say I know what the reefers are doing there!

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Richard Townsend

Pure speculation on my part, but boxcar shortages were common in the PNW and maybe this reflects that. Reefers could carry bagged flour, even though they weren’t ideal.

On Jun 3, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Once again, a mystery use of at least one (possibly more) PFE reefer along with SP&S boxcars at a flour mill. I can’t say I know what the reefers are doing there!

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

Possibly they are being cleaned out before being spotted. It seems odd that the doors on the opposite side of the mill are open.

Also note the lack of safety appliance hardware on these freight cars. It’s great to see such a clean early image.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Once again, a mystery use of at least one (possibly more) PFE reefer along with SP&S boxcars at a flour mill. I can’t say I know what the reefers are doing there!

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

David Soderblom

I’d say Crown Flour is in an industrial area and that track has empties from several industries we can’t see.  No profund answer is required.

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

Remeber reefers are good tight cars, no leaks. Many boxcars could leak around the doors and through the roof. A DRY reefer was a good tight car for bagged flour. And available in none peak produce times. The doors on the sides are open for ventialtion for the loaders working in the car.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 08:48:59 PM CDT, Richard Townsend via groups.io <richtownsend@...> wrote:

Pure speculation on my part, but boxcar shortages were common in the PNW and maybe this reflects that. Reefers could carry bagged flour, even though they weren’t ideal.

On Jun 3, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Once again, a mystery use of at least one (possibly more) PFE reefer along with SP&S boxcars at a flour mill. I can’t say I know what the reefers are doing there!

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

akerboomk

There’s a lot of low buildings between the reefer and the “big” part of the flour mill.

Could be one of them (or a building out-of-picture to the right) has something to do with the more usual reefer loads (fruit/vegs)

Or, as someone pointed out, could just be a be a boxcar shortage.

--
Ken Akerboom

Schuyler Larrabee

None of these messages has mentioned the very tall black structure past the flour mill, nor the  “e PA” marked building past that.  It looks to me like the spur the cars are on runs past both of those, and I’d posit that the reefers are actually headed for the far “e PA” building. So, we know what city this is in?  Looking at Sanborn maps might answer the questions.

Schuyler

[...]

Bob Chaparro

No real mystery as refrigerator cars did occasionally carry sacks of flour, as seen in this photo:

https://oregondigital.org/catalog/oregondigital:df71fs37t

Notice the third car to the left has flour sack visible in the doorway.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

Crown Flour Mills was located more or less opposite Portland Union Station in Portland, OR - a little northwest, actually, as Albers Feed was directly opposite the depot.  In the 1960s, Crown changed to Centennial Mills.  When I worked for the NPTCo there in 1961-62, Crown and Albers Feed Mill were busy industries that got one switch during first trick (7am-3pm) and two switches during second trick (3pm-11pm).  The low structures in front of Crown were the loading docks which were accessed on both sides (street side and mill side), and the street side spur could hold probably 8 40ft cars.  The street side track was also used for inbound loads of wheat.  The cars were emptied with a scoop bucket on a winch, and then the remainder was hand-shoveled out, IIRC.  The wheat fell out of the boxcar door and into grates at pavement level, and then, I suppose, via a conveyor system into the mill.

Todd Sullivan

Richard Wilkens

What's interesting is that the PFE car and the SP&S cars have no side stirrup step on the left corner of the cars or hand grabs. I thought by this time that was a requirement.

Rich Wilkens

Eric Hansmann

A weigh date is not clear on any of these cars, so we don’t know the approximate date the scene was captured on film.

The 1911 amendment to the Safety Appliance Act pushed the Master Car Builders Association to formulate standards for placement of the new hardware. This led to sill steps on both ends of a car side. Ladders or ladder grabs on the right end of a car side and the left end of the car end, with rungs at the same level. A single handhold at the left end of the car side was added with the sill step. The end sill grabs became standard appliances on all cars, too.

These changes did not happen overnight to the US freight car fleet. There were occasional freight cars lacking all of these new safety appliances during WW1. IIRC, it was 1923 when all the older cars were either retired or upgraded to meet the new requirements.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

What's interesting is that the PFE car and the SP&S cars have no side stirrup step on the left corner of the cars or hand grabs. I thought by this time that was a requirement.

Rich Wilkens

Doug Paasch

I blew the photo up as big as I could on a 24” monitor, in a darkened room, and can just barely make out what appear to be 100 lb sacks of flour stacked inside the PFE reefer.  Looks like the reefer(s) were what they could get in lieu of box cars.  My question is, do they shutter the ventilators off for this kind of shipment?  I wouldn’t think they would want air (with possible moisture from rain) blowing through?  Or would they care about that for sacked flour?

Doug Paasch

Once again, a mystery use of at least one (possibly more) PFE reefer along with SP&S boxcars at a flour mill. I can’t say I know what the reefers are doing there!

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Doug and List Members,

Golly, Doug, you are absolutely right! I can just barely discern the sacks of flour, but they are there!

Thanks for having such sharp eyes.

Claus Schlund