Photo: UP Furniture Boxcar 85352

Bob Chaparro

Photo: UP Furniture Boxcar 85352

An undated photo from the University of Oregon Libraries:

https://oregondigital.org/catalog/oregondigital:df71fs37t

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Looks like there is a "Tack Cards Here" box painted on the door.

And this was the photo of refrigerator cars in flour service I mentioned earlier.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

akerboomk

I also like the “end truss rod” (I don’t think it’s a “handrail”), presumably to try to reinforce the end…

--
Ken Akerboom

Tony Thompson

ken akerboom wrote:

I also like the “end truss rod” (I don’t think it’s a “handrail”), presumably to try to reinforce the end…

    You are right, Ken, it was a short-lived Harriman Lines design feature. A few years later, cars no longer were built that way.

Tony Thompson

This is seen on narrow gauge cars as well... gons as well as boxcars

Gordon Spalty