Topics

Photos: PFE 17220 (R-30-12)

Bob Chaparro

Photos: PFE 17220 (R-30-12)

Undated photos, probably early 1920s, from the University of Oregon Libraries:

https://oregondigital.org/catalog/oregondigital:df734t63c

https://oregondigital.org/catalog/oregondigital:df734t61t

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit. You can even read the trust plate.

Notice the "Tack Cards Here" stencil to the left of the door. It's my understanding that obstinate yard crewmen would tack placards and other media everywhere else but in the designated area.

The 3,000 Class R-30-12 reefers were a very large group of cars built in 1920-1921. There were 1,000 built by the SP Equipment Company (at Los Angeles & Roseville), 300 by the Mt. Vernon Car Manufacturing Co., 200 by PC&F, 600 by AC&F and 900 by Pullman.

PFE 17220 was the first in the group built by PC&F.

A spotting feature of these cars were their doors, which were taller than previous classes of PFE reefers.

In the 1930s and 1940s most of these cars were rebuilt into other classes.

There is good coverage of these cars in the PFE book.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

Note also the early Vulcan trucks with Barber Lateral Motion.  I tend to think of the latter as more of a 1920s innovation, but they can be found as far back as the 1916 CBC (at least).
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

brianleppert@att.net

John Barber left his employment with the Northern Pacific Railway in the mid 1890s to create the Standard Car Truck Company.  The purpose was to market his lateral motion device invention.  (according to John White's book)

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV