Topics

What is the reason for an offset door arrangement on some boxcars?

David Payne

A friend asked the subject question and rather than speculate, I thought I'd ask here.
Thank you.
David Payne
Georgia

Benjamin Hom

David Payne asked:
"A friend asked the subject question and rather than speculate, I thought I'd ask here."

Assuming the question concerns double door boxcars, it's to facilitate getting a long load into the car.

Ben Hom

al_brown03

A (very unusual) example of staggered doors on a single-door car is the W&LE 27000 series (staggered 7' doors on a 40' single-sheathed boxcar). I assume the reason is the same one Ben cites: to get long loads into the car.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Charlie Vlk

All-

Also to facilitate the use of forklift trucks.

Charlie Vlk

"A friend asked the subject question and rather than speculate, I thought I'd ask here."

Assuming the question concerns double door boxcars, it's to facilitate getting a long load into the car.

Ben Hom

Charlie Vlk

All-

Scratch that answer….my answer applies to double doors and very wide singles, not offset doors per se.  Some single door cars had offset doors as well, likely to accommodate threading long items into the car.

Charlie Vlk