Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Brian Termunde

Well I have to say that I find this all very interesting and hope it continues! While not necessarily about prototypical models of steam era freight cars, it is about where we started (and the individuals involved) and that is how we got to the accurate (more or less) that we have today. Those early models, why they may fail to meet the current standards, if it hadn't been for them, and everyone relied upon models similar to O and S Scale tinplate models, I would imagine that we would not have made the progress that we have made.

It's always nice to learn about the past, so one of my favorite columns is Collectors Consist in RMC.

Naturally, YMMV . . .

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde

Midvale, Utah

Jack Mullen

A 2004 article in the Billings Gazette, about the then-impending demise of Champion, included this history:

 "He bought the Champion company in 1963 from Max Gray, who had moved it to California after starting it in Ohio in 1940."

The full article is well worth reading:
https://billingsgazette.com/business/end-of-line-near-for-model-decal-company/article_ce5c4878-6511-54b2-9940-d43d64960f45.html

I seem to remember having packs of older Champ decals with a California address. Probably still have some around somewhere.

Jack Mullen

Benjamin Hom

Bill Smith asked:
"Is there even a ‘History of the American Model Railroad Industry’ web site?"

White River Productions'' HO Collector Magazine website here:

Ben Hom

erieblt2

I really appreciate this string. It’s not exactly what we ‘should’ talk about, but it’s fascinating history. It will be lost if not put out before it’s lost. I appreciate your patience. Is there even a ‘History of the American Model Railroad Industry’ web site? Bill S

On Jun 30, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Richard Bale wrote:

Globe was originated by Hal Prendergast and purchased by Athearn

       This conflicts with what was in Model Railroader in the late 1940s. It stated that Globe was founded in 1942 by Frank Taylor, who had been editor of MR, joined by well-known O scale modeler and scratch builder Carl Traub. The company began in Milwaukee, located at 4224 Lincoln, before moving to Chicago about 1950. Athearn bought them in July 1951.
        I know of no connection with Hal Prendergast, unless he facilitated the Athearn purchase.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Richard Bale wrote:

Globe was originated by Hal Prendergast and purchased by Athearn

       This conflicts with what was in Model Railroader in the late 1940s. It stated that Globe was founded in 1942 by Frank Taylor, who had been editor of MR, joined by well-known O scale modeler and scratch builder Carl Traub. The company began in Milwaukee, located at 4224 Lincoln, before moving to Chicago about 1950. Athearn bought them in July 1951.
        I know of no connection with Hal Prendergast, unless he facilitated the Athearn purchase.

Tony Thompson

Dave Lawler

Good day all,

I have several very old packs of Champ Decals  that were:

“Mfd. By Champion Model Co. Cleveland 2, Ohio”

Here’s where it was founded.

Best regards,

David Lawler

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tony Thompson

Richard Balewrote:

Globe was originated by Hal Prendergast and purchased by Athearn

       This conflicts with what was in Model Railroader in the late 1940s. It stated that Globe was founded in 1942 by Frank Taylor, who had been editor of MR, joined by well-known O scale modeler and scratch builder Carl Traub. The company began in Milwaukee, located at 4224 Lincoln, before moving to Chicago about 1950. Athearn bought them in July 1951.
        I know of no connection with Hal Prendergast, unless he facilitated the Athearn purchase.

Tony Thompson

Schuyler Larrabee

“Champion was never in SoCal: Champion was never in SoCal”

I am not sure that is entirely true.  It’s my understanding (though I have no documentation) that Champion was begun by Max Gray, who was interested in providing accurate decals for the models he imported.  At some point, Richard Meyer bought that part of Max’s business and set it up as a separate company.  MG was in Southern California, and I believe that Mr. Meyer was also at the time he bought the decal business, and then he later moved to Minot, ND.

I said no documentation, but Google presents this:

Which leads you to this:

http://www.minot.com/champ/#:~:text=This%20hobby%20is%20truly%20a,you%20all%20the%20very%20best.

That doesn’t prove that Champ was originally in SoCal, but that’s been my impression for quite some time.

Schuyler