fire truck delivered in Oregon on a PRR end-door box car

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

A fire truck delivered in Oregon on a PRR end-door box car in 1959

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Benjamin Hom

Claus Schlund wrote:
"A fire truck delivered in Oregon on a PRR end-door box car in 1959
https://umpquavalleymuseums.pastperfectonline.com/photo/6CF55703-0E42-4B74-84BC-157750359719

Not just any PRR end-door boxcar - PRR 59861, the single Class X30 70 ft 6 in IL boxcar, built September 1931 and survived into Penn Central hauling fire apparatus.  Basically a Class X28 automobile boxcar on steroids with end doors.

Ben Hom

Todd Sullivan

And most of those fire trucks came from the American LaFrance plant on the east side of Elmira, NY on the PRR's Elmira Branch.  Since the plant was on the Erie RR main line, the manufacturer had to drive the fire trucks over a couple of blocks to a siding on the PRR to load them using a ramp.  Big fire trucks (hook and ladders) needed the X30 auto boxcar because of their length, but smaller trucks such as pumpers could use the PRR's X31 and X32 classes of end door boxcars.  BTW, Elmira was also home to Ward LaFrance, another fire truck manufacturer.  Their plant a bit west of the city center was serviced either by the Erie or the DL&W.

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

Claus Schlund wrote:

Hi List Members,
A fire truck delivered in Oregon on a PRR end-door box car in 1959

    Now I breathlessly await the first list member to respond with, "Gee, what's a Seaboard box car doing in Oregon?" Luckily Ben Hom already answered the part about the Pennsy car.

Tony Thompson

erieblt2

Great photo, thanks. I have a print of Seattle’s electric buses ( replacing the trolleys) being unloaded from an east coast end door box car. I’m sure the manufacturer was in the East. I wondered if they would try to find a load of wood to fill the empty on it’s way back East. Anyway, a great picture, thanks again. Bill S

On Jul 6, 2020, at 5:59 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Claus Schlund wrote:

Hi List Members,
A fire truck delivered in Oregon on a PRR end-door box car in 1959

    Now I breathlessly await the first list member to respond with, "Gee, what's a Seaboard box car doing in Oregon?" Luckily Ben Hom already answered the part about the Pennsy car.

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith

Todd,

You meant X33, not X32, I'm sure ;)  The X32 did not have an end door. None of the X31 subclasses had an end door either. IIRC, the X30 was PRR's first end door car.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

And most of those fire trucks came from the American LaFrance plant on the east side of Elmira, NY on the PRR's Elmira Branch.  Since the plant was on the Erie RR main line, the manufacturer had to drive the fire trucks over a couple of blocks to a siding on the PRR to load them using a ramp.  Big fire trucks (hook and ladders) needed the X30 auto boxcar because of their length, but smaller trucks such as pumpers could use the PRR's X31 and X32 classes of end door boxcars.  BTW, Elmira was also home to Ward LaFrance, another fire truck manufacturer.  Their plant a bit west of the city center was serviced either by the Erie or the DL&W.

Todd Sullivan

Bruce Smith

William,

X30 - definitely not. The car was in dedicated service and had a "When Empty Return To.." stencil.
X31/32/33 - it depends, although a back haul was not out of the question.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Claus Schlund wrote:

Hi List Members,
A fire truck delivered in Oregon on a PRR end-door box car in 1959

    Now I breathlessly await the first list member to respond with, "Gee, what's a Seaboard box car doing in Oregon?" Luckily Ben Hom already answered the part about the Pennsy car.

Tony Thompson

Todd Sullivan

Bruce,

I was fairly sure I would get that wrong, as I was being lazy and not looking up the classes.  My apologies ... and my thanks for correcting me and the information!

Todd Sullivan

Lee

thats not an american la france engine, at least not a full out version. ALF made bodies on commercial chassis which this looks to be. Possibly a Chevy or Ford?

espee4441

Tony,

I'll be the first to comment on that Seaboard car to confirm your accurate suspicion. I was pleasantly surprised to see it and simultaneously astounded because 28 years later I was walking those same spots in Roseburg as a teen. Would come down from nearby Glide for the weekend and railfan. Heck, maybe that same fire truck was still around but most likely in a local field or smaller community as back up since they have second lives in one such capacity or another.

That Seaboard car gives me an excuse to get one if it's available. I have about 15 of the P2K 50 footers so far that work for this era. Anything remotely close in HO for SAL? I can't get the link to work now to see if it's a 40 or 50 in length. Bowser and Accurail have 40 feet versions and Branchline does a PS1 in 50 but that's not it in the photo.

Tony Pawley

Benjamin Hom

Bruce Smith wrote:
"IIRC, the X30 was PRR's first end door car."

Class X25A had end doors.
Ben Hom