Trucks?

Clark Propst

Can anyone tell me about the trucks under this car?
CW Propst

Todd Sullivan

Hi Clark,

It looks like a hybrid design between an Andrews (separate journal box castings) and a full cast steel sideframe truck.  I have no idea who might have made it, but I think I have seen one or two similar designs in other freight car photos.  The top part of the sideframe is pretty thick over the journals, reminiscent of the Andrews designs.

Todd Sullivan

Todd Sullivan

Hmmm, on a sudden hunch, I checked my Cory Bonsall model of a Utah Coal Route GS gondola, and it has similar looking trucks under it.  I don't know enough about D&RGW freight cars to know if they had composite GS gondolas or not.  Cory's models show the similar truck under both the Utah Coal Route and D&RGW 40' and 42' GS gondolas - see
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-3D-Printed-D-RGW-Offset-GS-Gondola-42ft-45k-Series-Single-Kit/232442939371?hash=item361eadc7eb:g:JJoAAOSw~y9ZCP49

Todd Sullivan

Bill Welch

In the product description the Trucks are ID'ed as 55-ton Vulcan.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

Not Vulcan, rather some sort of Andrews patent truck. Vulcan trucks had the end of the sideframe encircle the journal box, which fit in the resulting slot, and retained by a horizontal bolt through a lug on the sideframe directly behind the journal lid hinge. I'm not seeing this lug, nor does the sideframe extend far enough to encircle the outer side of the journal box. Meanwhile, although the poor quality of the photo makes it hard to see, I think I'm seeing vertical bolts alongside the journal boxes. Those are the spotting feature of the Andrews design. Andrews trucks don't have to have the horizontal strap to the bottom of the journal; some had the strap drop at a 45 deg. angle from a bracket cast on the sideframe, as here.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

Dennis

I agree, but it's the very first example of this type of Andrews truck I've ever seen - or at least, recall ever seeing.

(Can't trust my memory these days.)

On 7/7/2020 9:48 AM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
Not Vulcan, rather some sort of Andrews patent truck. Vulcan trucks had the end of the sideframe encircle the journal box, which fit in the resulting slot, and retained by a horizontal bolt through a lug on the sideframe directly behind the journal lid hinge. I'm not seeing this lug, nor does the sideframe extend far enough to encircle the outer side of the journal box. Meanwhile, although the poor quality of the photo makes it hard to see, I think I'm seeing vertical bolts alongside the journal boxes. Those are the spotting feature of the Andrews design. Andrews trucks don't have to have the horizontal strap to the bottom of the journal; some had the strap drop at a 45 deg. angle from a bracket cast on the sideframe, as here.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts