Topics

Photo Help -- DT&I Boxcar #14300-14549

Bob Chapman

Can anyone point me to a photo of DT&I boxcar series #14300-14549? Postwar AA R with R-3-4 ends. I have a decent archives of periodicals and have Googled them -- t hese guys are definitely camera shy.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob Chapman

John Stanford

I don't have any photos of that series, but I do show they were shopped in 1959 with insullation and plug doors added and renumbered into 19300-19449 series, of which there are several photos - though obviously with different doors.  Dave Mikulec's DT&I page has several photos of those...  http://dti.railfan.net/Equipment_Database/DTI19000s40'InsulBoxcar/ArtDTI19300s.html

That might get you started until someone else can come through with the real deal.

-John Stanford

Tim O'Connor

1956 photo

On 7/9/2020 4:06 PM, John Stanford wrote:
I don't have any photos of that series, but I do show they were shopped in 1959 with insullation and plug doors added and renumbered into 19300-19449 series, of which there are several photos - though obviously with different doors.  Dave Mikulec's DT&I page has several photos of those...  http://dti.railfan.net/Equipment_Database/DTI19000s40'InsulBoxcar/ArtDTI19300s.html

That might get you started until someone else can come through with the real deal.

-John Stanford

Sterling, Massachusetts

Craig Wilson

Nice . . . photos in the "original" paint scheme are fairly rare.  Not long after this 1956 date the DT&I began painting its cars in the scheme with the compass herald and "We have the CONNECTIONS" slogan.  The weathering is interesting too.  The DT&I shipped a lot of (bagged) clay out of Ohio and this car certainly looks like it might have been in this service.

Craig Wilson

hubert mask

Is this one worth taking a look at.

Is there a current car to look at.

Hubert Mask

Mask Island Decals

On Jul 10, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Craig Wilson <agecompanyphotog@...> wrote:

Nice . . . photos in the "original" paint scheme are fairly rare.  Not long after this 1956 date the DT&I began painting its cars in the scheme with the compass herald and "We have the CONNECTIONS" slogan.  The weathering is interesting too.  The DT&I shipped a lot of (bagged) clay out of Ohio and this car certainly looks like it might have been in this service.

Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson

When I was building the Yarmouth kits for the earlier 14000-14299 series cars (which had the proprietary ACF ends and 7-foot doors) I also built one of the 8-foot door cars (14300-14599) cars using a Branchline kit as the starting point.  The sill tabs were removed and a solid bolster-to-bolster sill was fabricated from Evergreen styrene.  Also the gusset plates were added next to the door.

The photo Tim posted clearly shows the extra vertical row of rivets in the side panels.  I used Archer Transfers rivets for these.  A photo of the completed model is attached.  I used a Yarmouth etched running board and Tahoe Barber S2 trucks.  I used the Mask Island decal set for the compass herald paint scheme with a repaint date of 1959 keeping it eligible for this list.

Craig Wilson

hubert mask

Looks great.

Hubert Mask

On Jul 10, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Craig Wilson <agecompanyphotog@...> wrote:

When I was building the Yarmouth kits for the earlier 14000-14299 series cars (which had the proprietary ACF ends and 7-foot doors) I also built one of the 8-foot door cars (14300-14599) cars using a Branchline kit as the starting point.  The sill tabs were removed and a solid bolster-to-bolster sill was fabricated from Evergreen styrene.  Also the gusset plates were added next to the door.

The photo Tim posted clearly shows the extra vertical row of rivets in the side panels.  I used Archer Transfers rivets for these.  A photo of the completed model is attached.  I used a Yarmouth etched running board and Tahoe Barber S2 trucks.  I used the Mask Island decal set for the compass herald paint scheme with a repaint date of 1959 keeping it eligible for this list.

Craig Wilson

<XM40.DTI14309.JPG>