Photos: MPLX Tank Car 966 - Mexican Petroleum Corporation

Bob Chaparro

Photos: MPLX Tank Car 966 - Mexican Petroleum Corporation

Undated photos from West Virginia University:

https://wvhistoryonview.org/image/020652.jpg

https://wvhistoryonview.org/image/020653.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

ACF Type 21.  I can't pin down the exact lot number, but it was built ca. 1921.

Note the KD brakes, installed on all ACF tank cars at this time.

By ~1930, it would probably have been repainted into an American Gas or Amoco scheme.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

John Stanford

Does anyone know the timeline for the later MPLX lettering schemes?  Did the American Gas lettering on silver preceed the white Amoco logo on black, or were they concurrent?  Wondering what would be appropriate for late 40's.

-John Stanford

Dave Parker

John:

I date the American Gas silver-on-black scheme to about 1930.  I don't think it persisted very long, and my sense is that the white-oval-on-black scheme came along later.   My guess is that you want the latter for the late 1940s.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA