Topics

Scalecoat II on resin freight cars, was Tru-Color

mopacfirst

I've changed the subject line since I'm changing the subject.

Recently I have used rattle-can Scalecoat II on several resin freight car models, without a primer.  Adhesion isn't wonderful, but it seems to be good enough to decal over.  And I did have the experience of pre-coating one or two cars with Tru-Color in tight spots (brushing) and I did see the paint just fall off.

My question is, am I setting myself up for trouble in the future?  Could the Scalecoat have some problems in the future where it just peels off or doesn't stand up to an 0-5-0 picking up the car?  I was doing a bunch of painting in a short time, about the time the primer discussion really got going on here, and I'd pretty much gone direct from Floquil to Scalecoat.

I have acquired some of the Tamiya primer and I believe I ought to adopt it as standard from now on, I'm just wondering if I've created a problem with what I've done in the last year.  An example of the paint schemes I've applied was a Sunshine CB&Q 40' double door painted in Chinese red with Microscale decals.

Ron Merrick

Tru Color paint on Resin Freight Cars
Tony Thompson
1:33pm

Scott, I use their surfacer but often just grab a can of One of their light grays. Seems to work fine,
Tony Thompson

toggle quoted messageShow quoted text

On Jul 11, 2020, at 1:30 PM, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Hi; already we have had the the universal opinion of yes for the use of primer on resin before a Tru-Color coat. Decades ago, I tried my 1st (and last) attempt to paint AccuPaint on an un-primered resin box car. The paint fell off in sheets! I wondered at that time if this would be a useful idea for making scale sized thickness canvas tarps!

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Group,

Question for you all. I’m painting a Yarmouth resin car and going to be using Tru Color paints. This is my first time using Tru Color on a train car. Would you guys recommend priming the car first?

Thanks

Tim Alund

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

From: mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...>

Reply to Group DiscardPrivate

I keep both the Tamiya red oxide and light grey primer handy and use before any rolling stock painting.  I have a bin of Tr-Color on hand but these days use it and PBL Star Brand for matching to Vallejo acrylics usually Vallejo Model Color for hand brushing. One color I have yet to match is the PBL Star Brand SP-UP Dark Olive to represent the SP color Dark Olive in Japan for passenger equipment. I don't do much passenger these days but when I do out comes the PreVal sprayer.

For a couple of cars both plastic and resin, the Tamiya red oxide was close enough to the color I wanted that I just sprayed the car a second time and used that as the final coat before on to the Future and decalling.

Ken Adams

From: mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...>

Reply to Group DiscardPrivate

Tony Thompson wrote:

You must! The Tru-Color will not adhere to resin at all. Prime any way you like (I prefer Tamiya rattle cans).
Tony,

Which Tamiya primer do you prefer to use?

Scott Seders

From: mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...>

Reply to Group DiscardPrivate
Pierre Oliver
12:58pm

ABSOLUTELY!
I had a huge failure with Tru-color paint on a custom project that wound up costing me a lot of money.
Tamiya Fine Surface Primer is a great choice, the tru-color primer is not worth bothering with, in my experience

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

From: mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...>

Reply to Group DiscardPrivate
Tony Thompson
12:54pm

Tim Alund wrote:

Question for you all. I’m painting a Yarmouth resin car and going to be using Tru Color paints. This is my first time using Tru Color on a train car. Would you guys recommend priming the car first?
  You must! The Tru-Color will not adhere to resin at all. Prime any way you like (I prefer Tamiya rattle cans).

Tony Thompson
tony@...

1 person liked this

From: mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...>

Reply to Group DiscardPrivate
Paul Doggett
12:50pm

Tim

Definitely I us a rattle can of fine car primer Trucolor will not stick to resin without a good primer otherwise it’s good paint.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

From: mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...>

Reply to Group DiscardPrivate
O Fenton Wells