Topics

Non-standard height 1923 ARA Steel boxcars

Don Burn

I was wondering besides the 5000 PRR X28, the 2000 B&O M-27 and M-27A, and the 25 High Point, Thomasville & Denton cars, were there any other 1923 ARA Steel boxcars with heights different from 8' 7"?

Don Burn

Tim O'Connor

Didn't the CNJ have some taller automobile cars (similar to X28)?

On 7/12/2020 10:55 AM, Don Burn wrote:
I was wondering besides the 5000 PRR X28, the 2000 B&O M-27 and M-27A, and the 25 High Point, Thomasville & Denton cars, were there any other 1923 ARA Steel boxcars with heights different from 8' 7"?

Don Burn

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

Indeed the CNJ cars and the Reading has cars with plate ends and similar roofs to PRR, I think. No idea about the underframe however.

Bill Welch

Don Burn

Bill,

Are these different from the USRA Steel boxcars the Reading had that were 9' 3" with plate ends? I checked Tim's mention of CNJ, and definitely found they had 200 cars that were 1923 ARA design but taller.

Don Burn