Topics

Non-standard height 1923 ARA Steel boxcars

Don Burn

I was wondering besides the 5000 PRR X28, the 2000 B&O M-27 and M-27A, and the 25 High Point, Thomasville & Denton cars, were there any other 1923 ARA Steel boxcars with heights different from 8' 7"?

Don Burn

Tim O'Connor

Didn't the CNJ have some taller automobile cars (similar to X28)?

On 7/12/2020 10:55 AM, Don Burn wrote:
I was wondering besides the 5000 PRR X28, the 2000 B&O M-27 and M-27A, and the 25 High Point, Thomasville & Denton cars, were there any other 1923 ARA Steel boxcars with heights different from 8' 7"?

Don Burn

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

Indeed the CNJ cars and the Reading has cars with plate ends and similar roofs to PRR, I think. No idea about the underframe however.

Bill Welch

Don Burn

Bill,

Are these different from the USRA Steel boxcars the Reading had that were 9' 3" with plate ends? I checked Tim's mention of CNJ, and definitely found they had 200 cars that were 1923 ARA design but taller.

Don Burn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 11:53 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Non-standard height 1923 ARA Steel boxcars

Indeed the CNJ cars and the Reading has cars with plate ends and similar roofs to PRR, I think. No idea about the underframe however.

Bill Welch

David

It depends on how far from "1923 ARA" you want to go. If you're counting the X28, then the N&W BP, BS, and BT classes would also count. Closer to home, Erie, PM, and NKP had auto boxes based on the ARA design, and Erie had some 9'4" single-door cars.

David Thompson

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

Any pictures of those HPT&D cars?
oldline1

Don Burn

There is a picture in Speedwich's "Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual Volume One: Box and Automobile Cars".

Don Burn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Roger Huber via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 3:58 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Non-standard height 1923 ARA Steel boxcars

Any pictures of those HPT&D cars?
oldline1

Eric Hansmann

Here’s an image from the Steam Era Freight Cars website. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jul 12, 2020, at 3:06 PM, Don Burn <burn@...> wrote:

There is a picture in Speedwich's "Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual Volume One: Box and Automobile Cars".

Don Burn

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

Eric,

Thanks.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Sunday, July 12, 2020, 03:10:29 PM CDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Here’s an image from the Steam Era Freight Cars website. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jul 12, 2020, at 3:06 PM, Don Burn <burn@...> wrote:

Don Burn

Bill Welch

Ten of the HPT&D cars went to West India Fruit. they were built with Duryea underframes. By about the mid-fifties—maybe later—the remaining HPT&D cars received Silver and Maroon or Purple and Silver. Not in what order or could have been at the same time. Sunshine offered kit for both HPT&D and WIF.

Bill Welch

Eric Lombard

Hi, Everyone....
Don Burn asked : "...were there any other 1923 ARA Steel boxcars with heights different from 8' 7"?"
It appears that 10 of the HPT&D cars were sold to West India Fruit and Steam Ship Co. in 1948 as WIF 101-110. I have not discovered any primary documentation for this transaction. However, comparative ORER counts, ORER dimensions, and photos provide a strong case for this. The HPT&D cars were built with a unique SSC design door that also appears on the WIF cars, for example. Here is a photo for comparison of WIF 106, which if actually taken in Vancouver, BC, is a very, very long way from Havana. The WIF&SS Co. went under in August of 1961, a victim of the Cuban revolution. Disposition of their several series of box cars is unknown to me.

Happy Rails to you....
Eric L
Homewood, IL

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 9:55 AM Don Burn <burn@...> wrote:

Don Burn

Kevin von der Lippe

HPT&D did indeed sell off 20 of their 10’ IH 1923 ARA cars, per a letter to the O.C. Duryea Corp. dated November 1948, to the Exporting and Importing Company of Dallas, Texas.  According to the correspondence, ten of those cars went to Texas for ultimate use in Mexico.  The other ten were shipped to FEC in Jacksonville for repairs, ultimately ending up on the West India Fruit & Steamship Company.

Kevin W. von der Lippe

Oak Ridge, NC