Topics

Photo: PRR Gondola 384661

Bob Chaparro

Photo: PRR Gondola 384661

A 1941 photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.7300.RR/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

Did anyone else notice what appears to be a rather short P&LE flat car on the hill just above the gondola? I was able to pull the attached photo off the web site. Can't read the number.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:34 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: PRR Gondola 384661

A 1941 photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.7300.RR/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Garth,

Looking into my 12-1930 ORER, I see that P&LE has very few flat cars - in fact, this is all I could find:

P&LE 6883-6884  30ft length  150,000 lb  (2 cars total)
P&LE 6885-6889  36ft length  200,000 lb  (5 cars total)

If I strain my eyes, and use a little imagination, I could just about get myself to say that the number on the side of the flatcar image you send reads as "6884".

The image is dated 1941 (11 years later than my ORER), but it might be as simple as it's got to be one of these 7 cars, and 6884 just might be it! If this is so, you found one member of a two-car class - wow!

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Did anyone else notice what appears to be a rather short P&LE flat car on the hill just above the gondola? I was able to pull the attached photo off the web site. Can't read the number.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:34 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: PRR Gondola 384661

A 1941 photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.7300.RR/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

pdnapp

Garth, I think this is the P&LE 30' flat in the background.

There was an article about this car in the American Engineer and Railroad Journal 1905, page 324 (although for online scrolling purposes, it's page 344).

Did anyone else notice what appears to be a rather short P&LE flat car on the hill just above the gondola? I was able to pull the attached photo off the web site. Can't read the number.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:34 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Photo: PRR Gondola 384661
A 1941 photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Claus and Jim,

Thanks for your help with the P&LE flat car ID. One problem though. The 1941 car has only seven stake pockets, while the car in the earlier photo Jim presented has 12. A rebuild is a likely possibility. Or perhaps this is 6883 and it had a different number of stake pockets from 6884.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 8:48 PM pdnapp via groups.io <pdnapp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Garth, I think this is the P&LE 30' flat in the background.

There was an article about this car in the American Engineer and Railroad Journal 1905, page 324 (although for online scrolling purposes, it's page 344).
https://archive.org/details/americanengineer79newy/page/n343/mode/2up

James Dawkins

Did anyone else notice what appears to be a rather short P&LE flat car on the hill just above the gondola? I was able to pull the attached photo off the web site. Can't read the number.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:34 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Photo: PRR Gondola 384661
A 1941 photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Garth and List Members,

If you closely examine the image you sent out to us all, one can easily see that the stake pockets near the center of the car have been modified for some specialized use - they look to be securing some kind of steel pivot plate or other loadbearing surface

So I'm not too bothered by the stake pocket count. It would not come as a great surprise to me if the stake pockets were modified for use with one or more specific loads, since this is such a very specialized car moving even more specialized loads

Trucks are also different between the two photos, having gone from arch bar to a more modern design

The overall profile of the car looks to be a dead on match, even down to the unique rectangular openings in the car frame at the body bolster locations.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund