C of G 56309

O Fenton Wells

Just finished this vent boxcar.  It was released by the C of G HS and produced by Jim King.  Excellent kit and fun to build.  Here in Pinehurst the Southern Piedmont Rwy shops have built 2 vent boxcars.

Paul Doggett

Fenton

That’s a really nice looking car and well built as well.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 20 Jul 2020, at 14:52, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Just finished this vent boxcar.  It was released by the C of G HS and produced by Jim King.  Excellent kit and fun to build.  Here in Pinehurst the Southern Piedmont Rwy shops have built 2 vent boxcars.

Attachments:

James Brewer

Nicely done Fenton!  I have that kit in my stash....somewhere!

Jim Brewer

al_brown03

Nice car!

AL B.

Steve SANDIFER

Beautifully done!

J. Stephen Sandifer

Just finished this vent boxcar.  It was released by the C of G HS and produced by Jim King.  Excellent kit and fun to build.  Here in Pinehurst the Southern Piedmont Rwy shops have built 2 vent boxcars.

Rich C

Great work Fenton
Rich Christie

On Monday, July 20, 2020, 08:40:06 AM CDT, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Just finished this vent boxcar.  It was released by the C of G HS and produced by Jim King.  Excellent kit and fun to build.  Here in Pinehurst the Southern Piedmont Rwy shops have built 2 vent boxcars.

Eric Hansmann

Great work on a sweet model, Fenton! Thank you for sharing.

I’ve got one in my stash to build but I need to create decal artwork for the as-built lettering. You can see the difference when you zoom in on C of G 57611 captured in this circa 1926 image of the Duke University campus construction.

https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dukeconstruction/19260601EC0116

Does anyone know when these C of G ventilated boxcars received the updated lettering displayed on Fenton’s model?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Just finished this vent boxcar.  It was released by the C of G HS and produced by Jim King.  Excellent kit and fun to build.  Here in Pinehurst the Southern Piedmont Rwy shops have built 2 vent boxcars.

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Eric, I've seen this photo of the Duke campus and there are others, one that shows the Southern gon, actually a flat with wood sides and photos of them are very rare.
I think the C of G paint scheme I have was instituted in the late 1930's but not sure and maybe someone who knows will fill us in.
All the photos I have of these cars have the more modern paint and lettering.
Fenton