C of G 56309

O Fenton Wells

Just finished this vent boxcar.  It was released by the C of G HS and produced by Jim King.  Excellent kit and fun to build.  Here in Pinehurst the Southern Piedmont Rwy shops have built 2 vent boxcars.

Paul Doggett

Fenton 

That’s a really nice looking car and well built as well.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

On 20 Jul 2020, at 14:52, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Just finished this vent boxcar.  It was released by the C of G HS and produced by Jim King.  Excellent kit and fun to build.  Here in Pinehurst the Southern Piedmont Rwy shops have built 2 vent boxcars.

Attachments:

James Brewer

Nicely done Fenton!  I have that kit in my stash....somewhere!

Jim Brewer

al_brown03

Nice car!

AL B.

Steve SANDIFER

Beautifully done!

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 8:40 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] C of G 56309

Rich C

Great work Fenton
Rich Christie

On Monday, July 20, 2020, 08:40:06 AM CDT, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Eric Hansmann

Great work on a sweet model, Fenton! Thank you for sharing.

I’ve got one in my stash to build but I need to create decal artwork for the as-built lettering. You can see the difference when you zoom in on C of G 57611 captured in this circa 1926 image of the Duke University campus construction.

https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dukeconstruction/19260601EC0116

Does anyone know when these C of G ventilated boxcars received the updated lettering displayed on Fenton’s model?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Eric, I've seen this photo of the Duke campus and there are others, one that shows the Southern gon, actually a flat with wood sides and photos of them are very rare.  
I think the C of G paint scheme I have was instituted in the late 1930's but not sure and maybe someone who knows will fill us in.
All the photos I have of these cars have the more modern paint and lettering.
Fenton

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 12:00 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

I’ve got one in my stash to build but I need to create decal artwork for the as-built lettering. You can see the difference when you zoom in on C of G 57611 captured in this circa 1926 image of the Duke University campus construction.

Does anyone know when these C of G ventilated boxcars received the updated lettering displayed on Fenton’s model?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Kenneth Montero

Eric,

Before you rush off to create artwork, check out Clover House dry transfer for Central of Georgia ventilator car, # 7188-01-DT-HO.

Here is a link to the website:

The dry transfer design is from 1893, but it may give you a start on what you need, as the left side of the car in the photo has what appears to be the same design as is in the left side of that dry transfer decal.

Ken Montero

On 07/20/2020 11:59 AM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Eric Hansmann

Thanks, Ken. I had forgotten about the Clover House set.

At first glance you are correct. But a closer review shows the only benefit is the road name. The 1926 appearance in the Duke University image has a different weigh and capacity data format and everything on the right side of the doors is different. Plus the car has lines and reporting marks under the road name.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenneth Montero
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] C of G 56309

Eric,

Before you rush off to create artwork, check out Clover House dry transfer for Central of Georgia ventilator car, # 7188-01-DT-HO.

The dry transfer design is from 1893, but it may give you a start on what you need, as the left side of the car in the photo has what appears to be the same design as is in the left side of that dry transfer decal.

Ken Montero

O Fenton Wells

I checked the C of G HS and they don't show them
Fenton

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:02 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Thanks, Ken. I had forgotten about the Clover House set.

At first glance you are correct. But a closer review shows the only benefit is the road name. The 1926 appearance in the Duke University image has a different weigh and capacity data format and everything on the right side of the doors is different. Plus the car has lines and reporting marks under the road name.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenneth Montero
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] C of G 56309

Eric,

Ken Montero

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Jim King

Nice job, Fenton.  Allen Tuten and I collaborated on this car many moons ago and I made at least 3 batches for the society.  A couple years after it debuted, I offered the Murphy roofed version which also sold well.  Somewhere along the way, I made the pulpwood rack for them … the prototypes were made from retired vent boxes and kept the unique ends and fishbelly centersill.

I also made the vent box with original roof in S scale … hard to find now and I don’t plan to rerun.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

O Fenton Wells

Nice car and good build.  I may move on to the TC box and SR 52 ft gon next.  But first the S'N T ATSF car as I just figured out the durey underframe...Whopee

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:28 PM Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Nice job, Fenton.  Allen Tuten and I collaborated on this car many moons ago and I made at least 3 batches for the society.  A couple years after it debuted, I offered the Murphy roofed version which also sold well.  Somewhere along the way, I made the pulpwood rack for them … the prototypes were made from retired vent boxes and kept the unique ends and fishbelly centersill.

I also made the vent box with original roof in S scale … hard to find now and I don’t plan to rerun.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Schuyler Larrabee

Beautiful build, Fenton.

Schuyler

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 9:40 AM

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Schuyler 

On Jul 20, 2020, at 4:51 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Beautiful build, Fenton.

Schuyler

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 9:40 AM

Todd Horton

C of G freight equipment start appearing with the rectangular monogram in June of 1934.

Todd Horton

On Monday, July 20, 2020, 12:00:00 PM EDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Lester Breuer

Fine, fine build Fenton.
Lester Breuer

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Lester 
Appreciate that

On Jul 20, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

Fine, fine build Fenton.
Lester Breuer

bigfourroad

Beautiful job Fenton.  More stimulus to break my inertia and build the two S kits one complete and one accumulated but nearly so that I have above the workbench. I consider these to be among Jim KIng's best work in terms of accuracy and complexity of molding.  You have done them justice indeed. 
Chris Rooney

George Courtney

I've got one of Jim's S scale  CG cars.  Love it.